London SE1 community website

The Siege of The Elephant: Convergence against gentrification of The Elephant Nov 17th 2012

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Current: 9 of 9
Tuesday 6 October 2015 6.59pm
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
We'r too polite in this country - this is how angry workers in France deal with adverse management decisions.

The French: best National Anthem, and best militants.

Much to learn from our Gallic cousins...

In this country, people can still afford to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that area with 49% child poverty doesn't exist. Presumably they feel empowered by pondlife like Ian Duncan Smith, who simply redefines poverty, so that he can lower the figures and claim he has solved poverty, like Osborne claims he is saving the economy or whatever he claims he is doing. I doubt that in France workers woudl simply allow a disgrace like letting a plant like Redcar rot and then "loaning" 45 million to billionaire Abramovich for some venture in Canada to happen.
Tuesday 6 October 2015 8.30pm
turtmcfly wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
We'r too polite in this country - this is how angry workers in France deal with adverse management decisions.

The phrase ' bouche ouverte' mean anything?

I don't see what "with open mouth" has anything to do with this discussion.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate?
Wednesday 7 October 2015 12.43pm
T
Jules62 wrote:
turtmcfly wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

A French friend was wont to use bouche ouverte to mean flabbergasted, or "my breath has been taken away."
Wednesday 7 October 2015 12.49pm
Can't argue with praising La Marseillaise, I'd be more likely to charge a machine gun with only a baseball bat with that ringing in my ears than that dirge God save the Queen.
Wednesday 7 October 2015 3.49pm
Debrajoan wrote:
T
Jules62 wrote:
turtmcfly wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

A French friend was wont to use bouche ouverte to mean flabbergasted, or "my breath has been taken away."

I may be wrong, but I think the intended meaning was "gushing".

I too gush for the French.
Wednesday 7 October 2015 5.56pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Can't argue with praising La Marseillaise, I'd be more likely to charge a machine gun with only a baseball bat with that ringing in my ears than that dirge God save the Queen.

I find "Rule Britannia" much more inspiring than "God Save the Queen". I was watching that "Is Britain racist?" program the other day and noticed that the woman who leads neo-Nazi movement Britain First concludes her speeches with the line "God Save the Queen". Must be their latest attempt at hi-jacking patriotism for their own agenda after upsetting Lee Rigby's family by putting "Remember Lee Rigby" on their ballot papers as well as the The Royal British Legion fro hi-jacking the poppy logo. Nothing to do with gentrification, but hey.
Wednesday 7 October 2015 9.39pm
Years on from The Siege of The Elephant event, here is recent Southwark news from exactly what that event was talking about:

http://35percent.org/blog/2015/09/24/southwark-backs-down-over-bermondsey-spa-dispute/

http://35percent.org/blog/2015/07/25/kipling-and-the-quill/
Monday 19 October 2015 9.27am
Rich people doing good.
Wednesday 18 November 2015 12.50am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

In this country, people can still afford to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that area with 49% child poverty doesn't exist. Presumably they feel empowered by pondlife like Ian Duncan Smith, who simply redefines poverty, so that he can lower the figures and claim he has solved poverty, like Osborne claims he is saving the economy or whatever he claims he is doing. I doubt that in France workers woudl simply allow a disgrace like letting a plant like Redcar rot and then "loaning" 45 million to billionaire Abramovich for some venture in Canada to happen.

The French don't mess around: here we see two different EMS' at work against each other, both with 'Blues and Twos' each uniformed, helmeted, fighting fit (as firefighters and police are required to be) and with a clearly defined command structure, communication system and thought out strategy:

This time the Police weren't dealing with some skinny-jeans wearing student hipsters who just had an espresso at Fuckoffe, or a bunch of drunk football hooligans...

But I am not being serious, this is about solidarity with France after the despicable terrorist outrage in Paris, and to show how English and French united a few hours ago at Wembley when La Marseillaise was performed:

This post is merely an interlude (but let us all keep in mind that the shadow of war looms upon us): gentrification issues will resume soon...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Current: 9 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions