London SE1 community website

London Bridge station development nightmare

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 30 October 2012 5.16pm
Is there going to be a new entrance further east on Tooley street? Given that some of the platforms are actually located there, and a lot of the traffic seems to now flow east out of the station to More London (or Bermondsey Street) it would surely make sense? Perhaps ticketholders only?
Tuesday 30 October 2012 5.26pm
Yes, the new concourse will open out onto Tooley Street where the South Eastern Railway building current stands (see previous threads for more on that controversy).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 October 2012 10.55pm
dronid wrote:
Looking at the redirection of the Thameslink Service while the lines are being reorganised, does anyone think they'll be putting the service through Elephant and Castle?

Yes they will be re-routing the Brighton Line Thameslink service, but AFAIK they haven't yet published any models of which (if any) services might actually stop at the Elephant rather than running through directly to Blackfriars without stopping. I understand that there are real concerns about the ability of E+C Underground station to handle the potential crowds.
Wednesday 31 October 2012 5.32pm
Keith McIntosh wrote:
This sounds an aboslute nightmare for anyone using London Bridge - up to 5 years of service disruption.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20123256

We all know that comparisons are alleged to be odious, but compare the projected 5 years that this London Bridge work is scheduled to take, with the time-frame of the repairs after the January 17 1994 Northridge, L.A. Ca., USA earthquake which brought down miles of freeway, overpasses, connector roads etc.
Work commenced at 19.00 hrs. on the day the earthquake occurred, initially to clear debris.
230 days later, September 3 1994, all freeways and overpasses were open.
In November 1994, all connector roads were re-linked up and all the original downed roads were back ready to use.
Thursday 1 November 2012 9.16am
Will the ticket office stay in the same place? Was not too pleased last week to find cashpoints closed and moved downstairs, plus all shops closed and moved to farside of the concourse. So my idea of getting a paper/book to read on the train was kaput! Mind you a million times better than Dartford station where the lift is always out of action, meaning horrendous climb up and down at least 40 stairs to get out of the station, and that closed all the facilities too..
Friday 2 November 2012 1.11pm
More people are exiting now at blackfriars. I often go to work along the river and it's much busier there now
Monday 5 November 2012 4.05pm
To compare the rebuilding of London Bridge to the Northbridge earthquake is a little unfair given that Network Rail will have to maintain one of the busiest commuter services in the world through the station whilst it is being rebuilt. And no, the ticket office won't stay in the same place Jan - it will be located in the new street level concourse.
Monday 5 November 2012 4.59pm
I would like to know where the 17 bus stop will be banished to now, it has already been relegated to outside of the station and the shelter taken away, now it seems to have been located outside the station on the bridge itself!
Monday 5 November 2012 5.14pm
MalcolmWoods wrote:
To compare the rebuilding of London Bridge to the Northbridge earthquake is a little unfair given that Network Rail will have to maintain one of the busiest commuter services in the world through the station whilst it is being rebuilt. And no, the ticket office won't stay in the same place Jan - it will be located in the new street level concourse.

Is it fair to assume that a lot of the works will be carried out at night?
I really do feel for the people that live in that area,especially those that are not afforded the luxury of double glazing.
Monday 5 November 2012 7.09pm
Malcolm, I sincerely hope the taxis can stop outside the street level ticket office when it moves, my mobility is getting worse so rely so much on taxis /cabs etc., I hope the powers that be take into account the less mobile and elderly! lol if not I will be unable to visit my grand-daughter..:-(
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions