London SE1 community website

Drying rooms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
TAK
Saturday 3 November 2012 2.23am
graham wrote:
Draper House has drying rooms, at the north end of the corridors, they were switched off a few years ago.

Yes, they are the little glass boxes (as I call them) sticking out on north facade. Glass on three sides and views to die for.
Flat's have also airing cupboards, unlike todays new builds...
Saturday 3 November 2012 4.50am
'I saw a pulley operated clothes airer recently, in a trendy supplement Connie, Victorian Clothes pulley it was described as, great simple idea, my Auntie had one in Brunlees house strung up in her bathroom.'

My flat still has one and is used regularly. Four slats with cast iron ends.
Saturday 3 November 2012 9.43am
I would have called them slats as well Tolstoy, but the posh site called them lath..lol
Saturday 3 November 2012 10.49am
All the old laundry rooms in our block are used as storage space and the stuff stored supports the proverb 'rubbish expands to fill the space provided' (is that a proverb?)
Saturday 3 November 2012 3.42pm
Toys certainly expand to fit the toybox, then the bedroom,then the whole property ! lol My shed is certainly bearing witness to the proverb 'rubbish expands to fill the space provided'
Saturday 3 November 2012 5.35pm
The drying racks are called creels and they are available on ebay for about 20.
Zoe
Saturday 3 November 2012 8.43pm
phoney wrote:
All the old laundry rooms in our block are used as storage space and the stuff stored supports the proverb 'rubbish expands to fill the space provided' (is that a proverb?)

No, rubbish expands far beyond the space provided. Sigh.
Sunday 4 November 2012 1.15pm
Tak are you telling me that new builds have no airing cupboards, how potty is that? where do people put towels and sheets?

Zoe I wandered down to my shed to retrieve the stuff I had stored whilst kitchen was being renovated and saw some lovely old fabric that had 1967 on the selvedge! and so much junk, when i get a bit fitter I will clear it out...your right about rubbish expanding past the original! :-)
Zoe
Sunday 4 November 2012 3.10pm
Could you do my garage after that?
Sunday 4 November 2012 4.16pm
I'll book you in for 2014!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions