London SE1 community website

Devon Mansions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 5 November 2012 3.26pm
nat_ash wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
He complained to the landlady of above flat (once he tracked her down)and was reimbersed by her or her insurers I think,slightly different situation in so much that both flats are private but that's not to say the works weren't carried out by council plumbers.
The problem was only rectified after he made threats of taking matters further,surely in your case the council are liable for any damage to your kitchen ceiling etc.

Yes the council are liable, but extremely slow at doing anything. I was passed around by customer services 3 times, encountering many rather rude receptionists, before being told that it was being handled by loss adjusters and I would need to get in touch with them. The first loss adjusters went bust, the new team haven't a clue about the problem and keep getting the address wrong. Nightmare!

Has the leak problem been resolved?

If not..

I know what i'd do in your situation,lay it on thick as they say.
This is me you understand and you may not be inclined to do/say this but I would bring health and safty into it,not being able to turn your lights on (i'm an electrician) after dark and so not being able to cook etc
It was when my friend (on my advice)mentioned H&S that things started moving sharpish!

Just a thought.
Monday 5 November 2012 3.58pm
boroughonian wrote:
nat_ash wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
He complained to the landlady of above flat (once he tracked her down)and was reimbersed by her or her insurers I think,slightly different situation in so much that both flats are private but that's not to say the works weren't carried out by council plumbers.
The problem was only rectified after he made threats of taking matters further,surely in your case the council are liable for any damage to your kitchen ceiling etc.

Yes the council are liable, but extremely slow at doing anything. I was passed around by customer services 3 times, encountering many rather rude receptionists, before being told that it was being handled by loss adjusters and I would need to get in touch with them. The first loss adjusters went bust, the new team haven't a clue about the problem and keep getting the address wrong. Nightmare!

Has the leak problem been resolved?

If not..

I know what i'd do in your situation,lay it on thick as they say.
This is me you understand and you may not be inclined to do/say this but I would bring health and safty into it,not being able to turn your lights on (i'm an electrician) after dark and so not being able to cook etc
It was when my friend (on my advice)mentioned H&S that things started moving sharpish!

Just a thought.

Good advice. I don't think the leak problem itself has been fully solved. The council refuse to do a full inspection of the plumbing in the flat, claiming this lies with Fair Housing Community who manage the building.

I might tote this line to the loss adjusters and see what happens.

Thanks!
Wednesday 7 November 2012 11.44pm
Hi there. I lived in Devon mansions on the corner of tower bridge road opposite pommeliers rest. It was extremely noisy with sirens and the bus stop outside. I had to buy ear plugs and it affected my well being. Then before we moved out some people moved in above us who made our lives more intolerable by dragging around furniture doing DIY at midnight etc. I would say floor to ceiling sound proofing is non existent. It is a fab location and if you are around the back it shouldn't be so bad. But definitely go round and close your eyes to see if it is noisy. Also the environmental agency has a noise pollution map. Devon mansions is located in a high decibel area. I moved off Jamaica road to a more quieter location but it's not as "sexy" location as tooley street. Also we had a leak from the stupid vertical garden pipes being left on and from our neighbors bathroom!
Thursday 8 November 2012 12.26am
With all the above in mind it's amazing to think the same sized flats facing the same side of the street, with double glazing are going for 850k minimum at one tower bridge! Same noise levels...
Thursday 8 November 2012 11.27am
Julia7239 wrote:
Hi there. I lived in Devon mansions on the corner of tower bridge road opposite pommeliers rest. It was extremely noisy with sirens and the bus stop outside. I had to buy ear plugs and it affected my well being. Then before we moved out some people moved in above us who made our lives more intolerable by dragging around furniture doing DIY at midnight etc. I would say floor to ceiling sound proofing is non existent. It is a fab location and if you are around the back it shouldn't be so bad. But definitely go round and close your eyes to see if it is noisy. Also the environmental agency has a noise pollution map. Devon mansions is located in a high decibel area. I moved off Jamaica road to a more quieter location but it's not as "sexy" location as tooley street. Also we had a leak from the stupid vertical garden pipes being left on and from our neighbors bathroom!

You had a leak from an upstairs bathroom too? I don't live in your old building, but this is further verifying for me that the plumbing is a HUGE issue in these buildings....
Thursday 8 November 2012 2.54pm
Thanks Julia and everyone. I went to see the flat and I do think it could be great - the building itself seems good to an outsider - but it turns out it would have been more work than I would want to do in terms of changing layout and refurbishing. But thanks so much for all the input, it's massively helpful to hear from current residents!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions