London SE1 community website

Yet another Sainsbury's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Saturday 14 December 2013 4.27pm
Great Suffolk Street store opens 20 January

http://pic.twitter.com/KmV9wlXKKs

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 December 2013 1.04pm
I wrote to Sainsbury customer service last week to ask why, given they have so many shops in the neighbourhood, they all stock pretty much the same range, and why it's so weighted towards convenience food rather than stuff you can cook (one and a half aisles of sandwiches and snack food v less than one chiller unit of meat in the Blackfriars Road store when it opened).

The reply I received was of such awesome blandness I think I might have fallen asleep half way through.

I see no reason to think that yet another branch is going to offer anything new to the retail range of the neighbourhood.

At least the Sainsbury shops don't keep their ale in the 'fridge like the newly opened Tesco on Baylis Road does. That's just plain ignorance, isn't it?
Monday 27 January 2014 3.02pm
Sainsbury's Local opened this morning in Great Suffolk Street.

Monday 27 January 2014 3.22pm
YIPEEEEEEE
Monday 27 January 2014 3.23pm
Well, it beats the awful Tesco's opposite (hopefully).
Monday 27 January 2014 9.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Not sure what you base your consumer analysis on Edward!. In SE1, I think they are 2 cheeks of the same arse. But, hopefully, there will be intense competition and the consumer will be the winner.
Monday 27 January 2014 11.44pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Not sure what you base your consumer analysis on Edward!. In SE1, I think they are 2 cheeks of the same arse. But, hopefully, there will be intense competition and the consumer will be the winner.

I find Sainsbury's qualitatively better than Tesco's (I do more weekly shops at the Angel Sainsbury's than OKR of SQ Tesco's), so am hoping (hence the "hopefully" in my post) that it may be the lesser of 2 evils as far as daily shops are concerned. Also, the staff at the GSS Tesco's seem to be more aggressive than other supermarkets, including Southwark Street M&S when their tills don't recognise advertised offers. I have twice in recent weeks handed back my basket back then them and taken my "business" elsewhere because of that. This is probably more an anti-Tesco than a pro-Sainsbury's rant.
Thursday 30 January 2014 10.54pm
Luckily us customers are winning in this war for now. Tesco is trying very hard, stocking the shelves like never before, loads of discount coupons available. Someone was even polishing the tills the other day!

Not been to the new Sainsbury's yet, but then again have two that feel they are closer to me.. not checked actually, but there can't be many meters' difference from Nelson Square to the three Sainsbury's?
Friday 31 January 2014 9.53am
Nelson square has within 5mins walk

4 sainsburys
1 Tesco (soon 2 tescos)
1 M&S

within 7mins walk

6 Sainsburys
1 Tescos (soon 2 tescos)
1 M&S
2 Greggs
1 Iceland
Sunday 20 April 2014 9.31pm
Another Sainsbury's just a few yards from the SE1/SE16 border:

http://www.se16.com/2051-sainsburys-local-coming-to-bermondsey-spa

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions