London SE1 community website

New Co-Op on Jamaica Road (where Costcutter is)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 22 November 2012 11.11pm
Is it true there's one opening on Spa Road too?
Thursday 22 November 2012 11.24pm
Yes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 November 2012 12.15am
I was in the SBR store tonight. Dreadfully poor on every level compared to the same store under Costcutter. I particularly didn't appreciate being very, very, very, very, very obviously followed around the poorly stocked store by what appeared to be a security guard. A friend noticed this extremely conspicuous tailing too when they went in. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience that I will avoid repeating by shopping further from home in future.
Friday 23 November 2012 1.00am
I must say the Dockhead store is in a similar state to what boroughbloke observed at Southwark Bridge Road, though I'm sure it will improve. Compared to its extremely well stocked predecessor, the Co-op's shelves looked bare, even bearing in mind Costcutter obviously didn't restock for the last few weeks. The prices seem higher than Costcutter's and there is less variety of products - no baking products, poor selection of cheese, ready/frozen meals and so on.

I think the knack in running a succesful convenience-type store is in part knowing what the customers want.
Friday 23 November 2012 9.57am
It does look like you can feedback to them on this page about any issues. It's nice to see them engage with this site to get it working well. I have to say I've always liked the ethos of the Co-op.
Friday 23 November 2012 12.26pm
Many Co-op stores now have Amazon lockers - I wonder if they'll introduce them in the new SE1 stores. Bound to be popular given what we all know about the local postal service.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 24 November 2012 2.26pm
Just checked out the Tower Bridge Road store and have to say I'm also disappointed. Fruit and veg looks a lot better, but that's about it. Milk 4 pints up from 1.09 to 1.30, eggs are 6 for 1.90 or something. Poor selection of frozen goods. The free cash machine seems to be 'out of cash'. But above all, the loss of a 24 hour store is a big blow. I'll be using Nisa from now on, which is conveniently half way between the co-ops on TBR and Dockhead. Looks like others may be doing similar as there was a large queue in there today.
Sunday 9 December 2012 5.23pm
Just had my first Dockhead Co-Op experience - what a let down. Basically all the same stuff, re-arranged, but way more expensive!

Tooley Street Tesco - you are now my saviour.
Monday 10 December 2012 9.34am
Laurence wrote:
Is it true there's one opening on Spa Road too?
Yes, it will open this Thursday (13 December) and the stock is already going on the shelves. It is at the Thurland Road (St James Church) end of Spa Road.

Isn't there going to be a Sainsburys Local or Tesco Metro in the Parker Building in Bermondsey Spa?
Monday 10 December 2012 1.47pm
Martin Tiedemann wrote:
It's is one of four local stores converting to Co-operative Food, as announced on the news pages of SE1.
I'm one of twelve people elected in the Co-op's democratic structures to represent shoppers' interests in South London, and I work in SE1. So I'm interested to read your views when the stores open and I'll take up the issues I've already seen on SE1, including the opening hours and cashpoint. On that issue, it can take some time until we can convert it to a Co-op Bank one as there are usually contracts in place, but I'll check it out.

If you have wider issues or thoughts, email me on coopvoice@gmail.com or get in touch with Customer Services for specific problems with a product or experience you've had. We are always interested in new locations too.

Martin

Thanks for getting involved here Martin. I was wondering if you'd had any response when you raised the issues last month, or if you've any commments on the issues raised later (in, particular, poor stock and uncompetitive pricing).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions