London SE1 community website

New Co-Op on Jamaica Road (where Costcutter is)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Wednesday 19 December 2012 11.22pm
The wine selection seems to have picked up on Jamaica Road. I see what you mean about the security guard though. Felt I had to keep my hands in view at all times which was a bit disconcerting.
Maybe they get a lot of shoplifters or maybe he's just new and very keen. The staff all seemed eager to help.

Certainly a hundred times better from that point of view than the self service Sainsburys machines on Bermondsey Square.
Thursday 20 December 2012 11.29am
The one on Southwark Bridge Road also has a security guard now. It's a little unnerving as they have so little to do, but hopefully it's an extra person employed.
Thursday 20 December 2012 12.18pm
has definately improved over past two weeks, seem to be getting their own stock in now & responding to local needs, yes I'm bias, we are in a recession and I remember why the co-op was created in the 1930's
Tuesday 19 February 2013 11.30pm
OK, things did seem to be picking up at the Co Op on Jamaica Road and I do want to support them, I do, but we went in there tonight and half the shelves were empty (doing a refurb - we asked) so we took advantage of the "sale" prices to buy some wine - Vinalba - down to 6.50 ish from I don't know what and it is just horrible. We can't drink it. It's actually making us feel sick.

I do want to support the Co Op, I just want them to stock the same stuff Costcutter (which wasn't the cheapest or best let's face it!) did if they can't do any better.

Which so far, it's clear, they can't.
Friday 8 March 2013 9.02am
The full refurb is done! They've even rolled out the green carpet today!

As I understand it, they took on so many new shops at the same time they could not do the refit on all of them at the same time which is why the store was a mess before. Have not revisited yet but it looks much better. You can see through the windows now! Make the block look nicer as well.
Friday 15 March 2013 8.45pm
OK, just been in the newly re-fitted Co Op, erstwhile Costcutter, on Jamaica Road and it's BRILLIANT!!!

They've not only done a very nice re-fit but they're stocking lots and lots of lovely stuff! Hurrah!!!

I've not done an extensive compare and contrast but the prices look good too.
I'm very impressed and, to be honest, rather relieved. My diet will definitely improve.

And not a talking self service till anywhere...."Unexpected item in bagging area....." NO MORE!!!!

Go and check it out.
Friday 15 March 2013 10.14pm
Davies wrote:
OK, just been in the newly re-fitted Co Op, erstwhile Costcutter, on Jamaica Road and it's BRILLIANT!!!

Actually, it's not that brilliant, is it?

The shelves were empty last weekend - brilliant.

And it's very expensive - brilliant.

Mind you, this is brilliant - sorry BRILLIANT!!!!
Friday 15 March 2013 10.33pm
The only good thing about this store is its helpful and friendly staff - which cannot be said for the unhelpful staff in the new Co-op at Spa Road. The product range is limited and not at all thought - why have bacon, but no sausages? Where has the extensive chocolate/confectionary gone? On top of this, as BSB says, it's so very expensive.
Friday 15 March 2013 11.23pm
The shelves were empty last week because of the re-fit.
They have re-fitted and now have a lot of very nice stuff I haven't seen locally before.

The prices I had means to compare this evening seemed pretty decent, no worse than Sainburys or Tesco and considerably better on some things.

It is a different store to last week and I for one am grateful and hope it stays that way as there is at the moment a lot of very nice stuff at better prices than the big supermarkets and without the drag of having to trail round them.

And BSB; go and pick on someone else for your snide remarks. Seriously.
Friday 15 March 2013 11.58pm
Don't take my remarks to seriously - sorry if you took them the wrong way.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions