London SE1 community website

Costcutter - Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 15 November 2012 10.07pm
paulse1 wrote:
My local Costcutter on Tower Bridge Road appears to be clearing the shelves too. No newspapers at all yesterday and lots of special offers. Although when buying the "special offers" they're still going through the till at the full price which has been very common in this store. Always have to point out to the staff that they are reduced.

Which Costcutter on TBR? There are several.
Friday 16 November 2012 12.31am
Hi, the business it will be running by the same people ..
does a really a good news.. They are really friendly...
Saturday 17 November 2012 10.22am
Same deal for the Costcutter on Southwark Bridge Road. It's starting to look like a communist era supermarket; lots of shelves, but nothing on them.
Saturday 17 November 2012 11.15am
Im very happy to hear about co-op coming to SE1, Im sure others are too!
Saturday 17 November 2012 11.45pm
Costcutter TBR just past the Papa John's Pizza place. Spoke to the staff and it's closing down tomorrow (sunday) waiting to become a Co-op.
Sunday 18 November 2012 10.12am
maurits wrote:
Hopefully the Post Office will stay. I wonder what will happen to the current staff of Costcutter. It has indeed been one of the better supermarkets in the area and I found the people running it always very friendly and accommodating.
But, the prospect of a Coop is exciting: they are a nice store.
Agree, hope the post office stay and a free cash point
would be nice but most important I hope they have a good range of products catering form home owners and not just students…
By the way, I always found the Costcutter at GDS quite good.
Sunday 18 November 2012 6.26pm
YNB79 wrote:
... but most important I hope they have a good range of products catering for home owners and not just students…

I've occasionally looked at the baskets being delivered to the renters in my block, and it doesn't look terribly different from what I buy. What am I doing wrong?

What's important is that local shops should actually provide a comprehensive service to all residents, so that those of us who are lucky enough to be able to can buy quality ingredients at reasonable times of day; unlike the limited range that the local shops that open in the evening offer.
Monday 19 November 2012 8.24am
The one other small snag is Costcutters sold Rose's Lime Juice, in the co-op I have tried their lime cordial and it is vial, sorry vile!
Monday 19 November 2012 9.54am
Statement just in from Post Office Ltd:

"Post Office has received no notification of closures at Great Dover Street or Southwark Bridge Road Post Offices at this time."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 November 2012 11.40pm
This store should be open on 22 November, and the Southwark Bridge Road store this week as well. A further two stores on Tower Bridge Road and Jamaica Road are also becoming Co-operative Food stores.

I'm one of twelve people elected in the Co-op's democratic structures to represent shoppers' interests in South London, and I work in SE1. So I'm interested to read your views when the stores open and I'll take up the issues I've already seen on SE1, including the opening hours and cashpoint. On that issue, it can take some time until we can convert it to a Co-op Bank one as there are usually contracts in place, but I'll check it out.

If you have wider issues or thoughts, email me on [email protected] or get in touch with Customer Services for specific problems with a product or experience you've had. We are always interested in new locations too.

Martin
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions