London SE1 community website

Costcutter - Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Sunday 25 November 2012 10.15pm
I stumbled upon some info today on how the Co-op stocks stores. To all intents they stock all stores in a size category with the same things regardless of location. This might explain the sudden appearance of lard on the shelves alongside the enormous reduction in beer and cider brands stocked compared to Costcutter. This in turn may explain why there is almost nothing on the shelves of the Co-op stores that can't be had elsewhere for less and no end of stuff that can be had in almost all the independent stores locally (and in some instances in Tescobury's), but is not on the shelves at the Co-op stores.

Basically, they all think we live in an overwhelmingly white, anglo-saxon bit of suburban Manchester c.1950. The very idea there might be anyone in the country who might like Belgian beer or Nigerian Stout or Parmesan or anything other than meat and potato pies, lard and excessively salty bacon (I won't be making that mistake again) simply hasn't occured to them.
Sunday 25 November 2012 10.49pm
boroughbloke wrote:
I stumbled upon some info today on how the Co-op stocks stores. To all intents they stock all stores in a size category with the same things regardless of location. This might explain the sudden appearance of lard on the shelves alongside the enormous reduction in beer and cider brands stocked compared to Costcutter. This in turn may explain why there is almost nothing on the shelves of the Co-op stores that can't be had elsewhere for less and no end of stuff that can be had in almost all the independent stores locally (and in some instances in Tescobury's), but is not on the shelves at the Co-op stores.
Basically, they all think we live in an overwhelmingly white, anglo-saxon bit of suburban Manchester c.1950. The very idea there might be anyone in the country who might like Belgian beer or Nigerian Stout or Parmesan or anything other than meat and potato pies, lard and excessively salty bacon (I won't be making that mistake again) simply hasn't occured to them.

ha ha, chez pixie we've decided it's kwiksave, salford, late '80s.
Sunday 25 November 2012 11.57pm
I suspect even Salfordians had worked out Lard was bad by 1980 even if they did continue to smoke 80 Lambert & Butler an hour and got a panic attack when deciding whether their bag of chips or their kid in the push chair was more worthy of their attention as was the incident I saw on an escalator in Manchester's Arndale Centre. The couple in question eventually settled on the chips and let the pushchair go. Thankfully, it only bumped down two steps before trundling off towards a set of stairs and was intercepted by an elderly man.
Monday 26 November 2012 11.39am
boroughbloke wrote:
The couple in question eventually settled on the chips and let the pushchair go. Thankfully, it only bumped down two steps before trundling off towards a set of stairs and was intercepted by an elderly man

I've only just stopped laughing. That is hilarious!
jpm
Monday 26 November 2012 11.41am
maurits - you've hit the nail on the head.

Lidl is only 10 mins walk away
Monday 26 November 2012 1.16pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:
The couple in question eventually settled on the chips and let the pushchair go. Thankfully, it only bumped down two steps before trundling off towards a set of stairs and was intercepted by an elderly man

I've only just stopped laughing. That is hilarious!

what a heartwarming tale of everyday northern folk.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions