London SE1 community website

Mobile mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Saturday 16 February 2013 8.52pm
For the second time in three weeks, I've come across what sounds like the same gang as mentioned above robbing people around Tooley St.

The first time was at the junction with Bermondsey St. (on a Sunday afternoon). The second time was just now - outside the Tesco Metro store (8.20pm, Saturday).

They are as described above: on bikes, white, mid-late teens, wearing sports clothes. Both times, they rode off quickly towards Whites Grounds - the victims and some others gave chase, but from what I could see they made off.

Must be about time that the police catch these individuals.
Sunday 17 February 2013 2.20pm
I'd say there are two approaches to this: an individual with a fake iPhone and a person with telephoto lens discretely at some distance, or a mass picture taking of the individuals in question.
Sunday 17 February 2013 4.19pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I'd say there are two approaches to this: an individual with a fake iPhone and a person with telephoto lens discretely at some distance, or a mass picture taking of the individuals in question.
I was thinking about the latter. Can't guarantee anything but will try...
Sunday 17 February 2013 4.28pm
Tolstoy wrote:
or a mass picture taking of the individuals in question.

Sounds good. Would be even better if instead of a mass picture taking it was a mass clubbing with bats.

Only joking, of course...
Sunday 17 February 2013 4.29pm
Possibly, but these guys pounce really fast - it's hard to react quick enough. I think it's best to leave this to the cops rather than go for a quasi-vigilante approach (I can only assume that these crimes are being reported).

The first time, the guys came past me around a corner - so I'd no idea what was going on. The second time, the incident happened behind me so, again, I had no time to react - they were gone very quickly.

Also, my partner and friends have seen what must be the same gang cycling up and down Bermondsey Street quite a lot in the past week so be especially aware if in that area.
Sunday 17 February 2013 4.39pm
I'm sure the law are onto them, everyone appears to be! I guess we just have to give it time. I've seen these guys and without wanting to pre-judge had my suspicions.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 4.34pm
I had the Riverside Neighbourhood Police Team around this morning, as at 3am yesterday morning I had 2 bikes stolen from Shad Thames area. I have checked CCTV and 2 youths can be seen breaking into the building and taking the bikes. Both bikes were double locked to each other, but locks obviously cut and removed with bikes. In talking with neighbouring residents, 2-3 other garages have been targeted in the past week, but no one has bothered to report the thefts, as no hope of recovery. Seems a little apathetic, as if not reported how can the Police be expected to target these thieves.

Anyhow, both youths are white, slim build and aged about 16-18 years. I would guess that one about 5'9'' -5'10 and the other about 5'6''-5'8''. Both wearing dark sports jackets with hoods and white stripe/s down each arm. Unfortunately the cameras are not sufficient quality to clearly identify the culprits and it didn't help that they had hoods up. Police say they have some ideas as to who it may be, but not enough to go on.

Would this fit description of the mobile muggers ?

I mentioned to the Police the reports of the mobile muggings in Tooley Street and surrounding area and they said that these could be same youths and they were fully aware of the situation, but these incidents of mobile snatching are likely to continue for some time. I was a little perplexed by their comment that these crimes will continue for the foreseeable future, but can only presume this meant they do not have the manpower to target this gang at the moment.

Residents on here have mentioned taking photos of the mobile muggers. Do I presume that it is not possible to post on here, due to Data Protection Rights?

Maybe I should have posted this under Bike Thefts.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 5.04pm
Regarding the mobile muggers, how many of them are normally seen in the gang? I am normally going into the station between 8-10:30pm.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 5.22pm
Do not put yourself in any danger by photographing whilst alone, if you do have pictures of an actual crime you are can post them and hopefully supply the police if taken of/from a public place. If however the published pictures are alleging the subjects may be committing crimes you lay yourself open to charges of defamation if you cannot prove it should you be asked to, you can still supply them to the police though. No data protection laws apply here.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 7.12pm
James,

there were two during the first incident I saw, then three on Saturday night.

My guess is that they live in or around Whites Grounds.

Sorry to hear about the thefts LondonStan.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions