London SE1 community website

Mobile mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 20 February 2013 7.22pm
Thanks padraic... I noted in previous posts that Whites Grounds had been mentioned and spent an hour at 5pm today walking the area in hope of spotting one of the bikes, but no luck. I shall continue the search, as expensive to replace and no insurance to cover loss.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 7.48pm
Last year, I witnessed them making their getaway (which I only came to realise seconds later when a distraught woman came running after them). They had made their attack on Tooley Street, headed down past the Bridge Lounge along Druid Street, under the rail line by Whites Grounds Skate Park and headed into the Whites Ground Estate.

There were two of them, and they fitted the description of two whites of about 18, wearing hoodies.

This incident was reported to passing PCSOs. It seems incredible that a year on, the police seem to know who they are and can still do nothing about it.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 8.54pm
I guess they're building a profile of their activity and what happens to the goods?
Wednesday 20 February 2013 9.02pm
Seems to me that if a couple of coppers wore civvy clothes and hung around Tooley Street between Tesco and Potters Fields, they could catch these toe rags within a couple of days. No profile building just nick 'em.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 9.09pm
Well yes, I agree, I was just giving the law the benefit of the doubt, or else I've been watching too many police procedurals.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 9.14pm
I was not having a go at you matey - just expressing some common sense and frustration as to how this on-going problem could be solved by the police.

I have seen the toe rags and they know they can do what they like with no fear of getting caught.

Of course, in these times, the police have more pressing issues I assume.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 9.58pm
I think this particular crime may eventually peter out , like the stealing of car radios, which was rife in this area many years ago. Had to contact Vodafone last week to block stolen iPhone 5 and I presumed the phone could be re-chipped at some unscrupulous independent shop and re-used but not any more and cannot be used in the UK. Vodafone were very adamant that the phone is blocked and useless for use in UK. Apparently many people are getting wise to this now and thieves are finding it very difficult to sell these phones on. Only downside is they can currently be used overseas.

Frightening to think what their next target will be !
Wednesday 20 February 2013 10.36pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Seems to me that if a couple of coppers wore civvy clothes and hung around Tooley Street between Tesco and Potters Fields, they could catch these toe rags within a couple of days. No profile building just nick 'em.

Very astute BSB, and to my mind oh so true, but at the risk of being buried under a veritable hail of opprobrium I would not hold my breath while waiting for the Keystone Kops of Southwark to put such an intelligent scheme into action.
Friday 22 February 2013 8.55pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:

Very astute BSB, and to my mind oh so true, but at the risk of being buried under a veritable hail of opprobrium I would not hold my breath while waiting for the Keystone Kops of Southwark to put such an intelligent scheme into action.

I sgree.
I've just seen it happen again. Thief fits the description (has he no other hoody?) on his bike heading east. They must be making a fortune doing this in the same spot every night. The victim jumped in a mini cab so if he was crafty he might have caught up. The thief was cycling at quite a leisurely pace, and why not?
Friday 22 February 2013 10.43pm
beetroot..what time was this ? I saw 3 youths cycling like fury along river front, past Browns and over the footbridge at about 7.30/7.40pm this evening. Can you advise where the snatch took place? Tooley Street I presume...but was it by the gardens that lead to Potters Fields?

I want to warn my partner who walks that way each evening and I want her to be on her guard.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions