London SE1 community website

Mobile mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Tuesday 12 March 2013 1.05pm
very sorry to hear that Stewart. It's something that I regularly did without a second thought until it was flagged up here.
Tuesday 12 March 2013 2.03pm
Walking anywhere between london bridge and bermondsey tubes overground?

Don't use your 'phone.

Not only will it not be stolen, but you won't narrowly avoid knocking me over as you txt, reply to emails etc without watching where you are going ...
Wednesday 13 March 2013 9.51pm
There were around 15 police officers on Tower Bridge Road, late afternoon today, all standing outside an estate agents - seemed to be doing vehicle checks, yet most of them were spectating by the looks of things.

Interesting use of police resources in the area.
Friday 15 March 2013 6.12pm
I just saw 2 lads on bikes: one white, jeans and a grey hoodie, the other black, dark tracksuit bottoms, dark hoodie I think circling round Newcomen Street.
I spotted them as I came off the bus at Borough High Street as I instantly thought of some of the descriptions I'd read on here..

Anyway, they were circling around the bit where the roundabout is at the road out of Guy's (Cafe Nawaz), very clearly checking people out.. carried on down past The Miller where they spotted a guy outside on his phone: the black guy turned into Kipling Street but the white guy just stopped a couple of metres away and was quite obviously waiting to see if he could make his move.

I did get a photo of him, but only from behind and I think he spotted me so to be honest I got a bit scared and carried on walking.. by that point the guy on the phone had put it away.

The guy was cycling up Snowsfields behind me and when I got to the corner with Weston Street his mate was waiting for him so I pretty much legged it home.

It was quite unnerving...
Friday 15 March 2013 10.38pm
At about 20:00 this evening on the corner of Tooley Street and Tower Bridge Rd saw the same two people mentioned above (small black lad wearing dark track suit and larger white lad with a pretty big nose wearing a black 'stone island' beanie) cycling around and intently staring at someone's phone while he was using it.

Having read this forum before I had a suspicion they were the phone snatchers so was keeping an eye on them. As we walked up Tooley St toward LB a policeman was walking toward us and was on his radio and, I believe, looking for them. I gestured him in their direction and the 2 kids communicated with each other, gave the policeman a 1 finger salute and cycled off.

You'd really hope that the police are aware of who they are, but I guess they need to be caught in the act (which is going to be a challenge).
Saturday 16 March 2013 12.03am
At this rate these two will have their own tv series and still the police will be telling us there's nothing they can do.
Saturday 16 March 2013 9.56am
You would think the police would set these kids up and arrest them? How many more people are going to get mugged or hurt?
Saturday 16 March 2013 9.58am
True. And it's not like they are difficult to spot. I think the biggest problem is they know they are unlikely to get caught - and even if they do, very little will happen.
Monday 1 April 2013 9.36pm
As I was ordering some food inside the excellent Shad indian restaurant on Tooley street this evening, a kid ran up to a motoped parked outside and couldn't have been more obvious that he was sniffing it out for a potential theft. He then retreated. I mentioned it to the manager (?) of Shad and he said, "The police *never* come, it happens *all* the time".

More to the point, why do the police around here seem to be sooo bad at pre-emptive policing, also known as "proper policing", ie just making sure that a now-notorious area like Tooley street is policed so that we the public shouldn't have to call them in the first place ??! They should already be here and visibly so !
Monday 1 April 2013 9.38pm
Whoops, that should of course have read "moped" !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions