London SE1 community website

Mobile mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Jac
Thursday 4 April 2013 9.23am
Not just a SE1 problem.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22013460

Thought the comment that the increased number of bike lanes made people more vulnerable to bike thefts ridiculous as if they keep to bike lanes!
Friday 5 April 2013 12.17pm
Wednesday 1 May 2013 9.26pm
A guy's mobile has been snatched from outside Cafe Amisha on Grange Road this evening. Was just walking past, as I heard someone shout 'hold him'! and saw him giving chase down Bacon Grove. Looked as if a couple of cyclists were giving chase as well (they both had neat bikes and helmets etc so I don't reckon they were part of the thief's posse). Thief on foot apparently but didn't actually see him myself.
Soooo... Just a reminder that this is still going on... Not a surprise...
Friday 3 May 2013 6.28pm
look folks!

just don't walk dangerously looking at your 'phone and almost crashing into people and not being aware of your surroundings.

frankly, i'm with the muggers!

you are a danger to shipping and perhaps having your 'phone nicked will teach you to get a life!

using your smartphone without due care and attention on the pavement should be an offence as with operating a motor. is just as dangerous, and you look like such a saddo.
Friday 3 May 2013 7.13pm
kellandj wrote:
look folks!
just don't walk dangerously looking at your 'phone and almost crashing into people and not being aware of your surroundings.

frankly, i'm with the muggers!

you are a danger to shipping and perhaps having your 'phone nicked will teach you to get a life!

using your smartphone without due care and attention on the pavement should be an offence as with operating a motor. is just as dangerous, and you look like such a saddo.
The other day my wife was walking on a narrow but empty pavement, when she dropped her phone. She picked it up, saw someone approaching and moved to the side as much as possible to check if her phone was OK. The man approaching deliberately bumped into her and aggressively mumbled something about "watching where you're going". Some people, eh. I bet he wouldn't have done that with me.
Friday 3 May 2013 11.25pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
If only this were a common experience.
A friend of mine who had his iPhone stolen from him recently in London called the police to let them know he had tracking activated and could tell them where the phone was currently

I'm busy following the blog of a MacBook owner who has been busy posting the sexual preferences and solo bedroom activity of the person who stole his MacBook. The police seem utterly disinterested of the fact that he can identify the address where the individual is getting rather excited by very large women. Clearly, knowing where the device is is of no use at all as far as the police are concerned.
Saturday 4 May 2013 7.59am
Much the same happened to a pal of mine BBloke.
He traced it to a lock up garage in Tottenham & called the police. They attended & said that there wasn't enough evidence for them to get a search warrant to break into the garage & it's wasn't serious enough for them to investigate further.
He replied that he would break in where upon they warned him that he would be arrested for breaking & entering.
Saturday 4 May 2013 10.24pm
The grey-hoodied bloke struck again a few minutes back, on the corner of Jamaica Road and Druid Street. That's the third time I've seen him do it, and it's been reported to the police, who know him. Unbelievable that he's still getting away with it after all this time.
Tuesday 3 January 2017 3.26pm
To reopen this thread, had my mobile phone snatched from my hands on the 30th Dec at 18:00 on Bermondsey Street. It was a fairly skinny white Caucasian with a big nose roughly 6 foot tall. He was wearing a black synthetic coat with a black woolly hat and a black scarf covering his nose and mouth and blue jeans on a mountain bike. He snatched it out of my hands on Bermondsey Street and he had come from Whites Grounds road junction just outside the Garrison pub and then headed down Tyers Gate into Leathermarket Gardens where I lost him. I could see him turning the phone off in the distance.

Police came and interviewed me. Saw them again later on Bermondsey Street and the police saw the guy again after they met me hanging around the White Grounds area near The Garrison pub but didn't bother searching him as they felt he had probably got rid of the mobile already. This was extremely annoying to hear to be honest - what point is there in even contacting the police if they are not going to search and interview someone who in their words said 'completely fits your description'.

There were tonnes of people around on Bermondsey Street but unfortunately noone gave any help whatsoever to stop this guy as I chased after him shouting for people to stop him. Anyway I'm kind of over it now. These guys are petty thieves with no future prospects probably selling these phones for only a fraction of their actual price - they will be caught eventually as they are hardly criminal masterminds and locked up in jail where noone will give a toss
Tuesday 3 January 2017 7.51pm
I worked in a friend's phone/repair shop for a while, the people coming in trying to fence stolen phones were the saddest part.
Stolen Apple phones are useless, except for second-hand parts, maybe 30 up to 100 for the latest models.
Your story saddens me, as, like you said, there is no future for a phone thief, with a high chance of a beating, or further compromising your potential.
The best we can do is to prevent others being tempted to snatch them. Use ear phones, and don't wave them around looking at map apps. If you need to look at the screen, stand near a wall.
It's all common-sense, but it's the right thing to do.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions