London SE1 community website

Which SE1 pub is your local?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.04pm
What's the name of the one directly under London Bridge, on the South side? That's quite picturesque inside.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.54pm
Mudlark?
Wednesday 5 December 2012 7.54pm
DebraG wrote:
The Anchor Tap in Horselydown Lane is really old and rather picturesque - lots of wood and cubby holes, plus a real fire in the grate. Shame the staff are so miserable!

Could not agree more about the staff comment, tried it once, thought that maybe I'd caught them on a bad day and mistakenly had another go a few weeks later.
Lesson learned eventually, I don't care how picturesque it is.
Life is too short to frequent lousy pubs.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 8.48pm
I used to work close to the Anchor and spent a few dinnertimes in there getting to know some of the barstaff,from what they told me it doesn't sound like a great place to work,none of them were happy there,any glasses broken they had to pay for them,any drinks pulled by mistake had to be paid for etc,that was a while back and maybe it's common practise now but I found it shocking when told.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 10.13pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Julia7239 wrote:
one off borough high street that sells pies and is fun but cant remember the name

The Glad?
Yes! What happened to the rose?? Also what is millers like?
Thursday 6 December 2012 3.01am
Re the Anchor & Tap, I know what you mean about the bar staff being miserable, but they weren't rude in my experience and the service wasn't so bad that I wouldn't return. However, the drinks are very reasonably priced and the 'own-brand' drinks aren't that bad.

I can't remember the name of the brewery that runs the Anchor, but they also run the Angel on Bermondsey Wall East and they used to do a very nice Sunday roast. There's nothing better than sitting in the room upstairs which overhangs the Thames, especially on a cold and wet day. It is very relaxing there. Same cheap prices too. Not sure if it's SE1 though.
Thursday 6 December 2012 10.17am
Julia7239 wrote:
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Julia7239 wrote:
one off borough high street that sells pies and is fun but cant remember the name

The Glad?
Yes! What happened to the rose?? Also what is millers like?

The Rose closed for refurbishment probably 18 months ago - he's basically knocked down eveerything but the ground floor and rebuilt an extra storey on top for flats. The building itself is finished now, they're just fitting it out - expected to reopen as a slightly less run down pub next year. Hopefully it retains the charm and character it had.

I presume by Millers, you mean The Miller on Snowsfield? It's very studenty and a bit smelly. Not really my favourite place to drink in the area but good if you're with a group of mates rather than for a quiet drink. The food in there was good the couple of times I tried it.
Thursday 6 December 2012 10.50am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Re the Anchor & Tap, I know what you mean about the bar staff being miserable, but they weren't rude in my experience and the service wasn't so bad that I wouldn't return. However, the drinks are very reasonably priced and the 'own-brand' drinks aren't that bad.
I can't remember the name of the brewery that runs the Anchor, but they also run the Angel on Bermondsey Wall East and they used to do a very nice Sunday roast. There's nothing better than sitting in the room upstairs which overhangs the Thames, especially on a cold and wet day. It is very relaxing there. Same cheap prices too. Not sure if it's SE1 though.
Sam Smiths

They have some really nice buildings, but the drinks aren't very nice.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 December 2012 11.14am
I always have a stonking headache the day after drinking the cheap Sam Smiths beers.
Thursday 6 December 2012 12.15pm
Guy's street wrote:
I always have a stonking headache the day after drinking the cheap Sam Smiths beers.

Not being a beer drinker that doesn't occur for me.
I am however a tad fussy with vodka.
Smirnoff is okay, it seems to be the staple in most pubs, but I always scan the optics for Stolychnya or Absolut.
Grey Goose and Belvedere are great, but probably being aware that they are the "in" drinks of the cognoscenti most pubs charge outrageous prices for them.
I've only been in The Anchor Tap once, a friend went to the bar, asking me what would I have, I said "Vodka with ice please, no fruit."
I have no idea of the brand, I don't know if Samuel Smith's have their own vodka, but this one wasn't to my liking, I drank it, but it took a long time to do so.
I went to the bar to buy a round and got sparkling water for myself after that.
Haven't been in a Sam Smith's since, and would make an excuse and leave if I was ever with friends who wanted to go in one.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions