London SE1 community website

Which SE1 pub is your local?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Thursday 6 December 2012 12.59pm
I haven't drunk Vodka for years, Tom.
I was on it one night and got up the next morning feeling a bit ropey. I guess it was a dodgy pint.
Thursday 6 December 2012 1.35pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
I always have a stonking headache the day after drinking the cheap Sam Smiths beers.

Not being a beer drinker that doesn't occur for me.
I am however a tad fussy with vodka.
Smirnoff is okay, it seems to be the staple in most pubs, but I always scan the optics for Stolychnya or Absolut.
Grey Goose and Belvedere are great, but probably being aware that they are the "in" drinks of the cognoscenti most pubs charge outrageous prices for them.
I've only been in The Anchor Tap once, a friend went to the bar, asking me what would I have, I said "Vodka with ice please, no fruit."
I have no idea of the brand, I don't know if Samuel Smith's have their own vodka, but this one wasn't to my liking, I drank it, but it took a long time to do so.
I went to the bar to buy a round and got sparkling water for myself after that.
Haven't been in a Sam Smith's since, and would make an excuse and leave if I was ever with friends who wanted to go in one.

I thik they do distill their own spirits, yes. They certainly have their own wine, which is vile.
Thursday 6 December 2012 7.18pm
good thing I only drink diet coke when I'm drawing by the sounds of it.
Thursday 6 December 2012 11.05pm
chalkey wrote:
I haven't drunk Vodka for years, Tom.
I was on it one night and got up the next morning feeling a bit ropey. I guess it was a dodgy pint.

It could have been premium vodka Chalkey, but if you drank a pint of it no wonder you felt ropey!
Friday 7 December 2012 9.55am
I think that was the joke, Tom.
Friday 7 December 2012 11.16am
Thanks, Tolstoy.

Oh, Tom. You of all people. Lol.
Friday 7 December 2012 11.38am
chalkey wrote:
Thanks, Tolstoy.
Oh, Tom. You of all people. Lol.

Let me know when I can take this dunce's hat off, and come out of the corner!
Friday 7 December 2012 4.39pm
Think I should speak up for my local... the much-maligned Anchor Tap! It's an honest local boozer. OK, the staff aren't all smiles, but they're alright when you get to know them.

Beers are good - the bitter, cooking lager and the strong one - the stout makes an interesting change from Guinness. Cider's very nice. Scotch is good. Irish Whisky is better. Chilean red is OK. The red Spanish one and the whites are vile I'll admit.

Anyway, my work here is done... off to the Tap in fact :-)
Saturday 8 December 2012 6.31am
I suspect I might seek this one out!
Saturday 8 December 2012 11.42am
richard_badger wrote:
Think I should speak up for my local... the much-maligned Anchor Tap! It's an honest local boozer. OK, the staff aren't all smiles, but they're alright when you get to know them.
Beers are good - the bitter, cooking lager and the strong one - the stout makes an interesting change from Guinness. Cider's very nice. Scotch is good. Irish Whisky is better. Chilean red is OK. The red Spanish one and the whites are vile I'll admit.

Anyway, my work here is done... off to the Tap in fact :-)

I'd agree with that,a lot of those 50/50 tourist local pubs are the same (perhaps 80/20 in this case)the local punter becomes a breath of fresh air to the barstaff,a friendly familiar face and they tend to try and look after you a bit.

I disagree about the stout though,not a fan of Murphy's.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions