London SE1 community website

Which SE1 pub is your local?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Tuesday 4 December 2012 12.40pm
I love the dean swift. I like one off borough high street that sells pies and is fun but cant remember the name
Tuesday 4 December 2012 12.46pm
Julia7239 wrote:
one off borough high street that sells pies and is fun but cant remember the name

The Glad?
Tuesday 4 December 2012 12.55pm
For me a pub has to have two things(apart from the obvious),an eclectic mix of people and some warmth from barside,The Ship BHS,Lord Clyde as mentioned and whilst I haven't been in there much the Royal Oak as above get's great reviews.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.13pm
Guy's street wrote:
I've been meaning to try the Victoria on Pages Walk for a while now as well.

In the late 70s and in the 80s, (IIRC), the Vic was known locally as Veggy's, the governor, John, possibly had, or used to have, an interest, family or otherwise, in a fruit and veg stall I always thought.
He had another pub in Wild's Rents that his wife Gill used to run, it was called Gilly's.
At the time, the local guys used to say, "If you can't score in in Veggy's or Gilly's. you're dead!"
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.29pm
The Rose (RIP) a real melting pot of mayhem - students, old timers, geezers, an amazing jukebox, great fireplace, lot of interesting crap on the walls. Staff always great too.

And with that 2am license it was the cause of many, many hangovers.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 1.58pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
I've been meaning to try the Victoria on Pages Walk for a while now as well.

In the late 70s and in the 80s, (IIRC), the Vic was known locally as Veggy's, the governor, John, possibly had, or used to have, an interest, family or otherwise, in a fruit and veg stall I always thought.
He had another pub in Wild's Rents that his wife Gill used to run, it was called Gilly's.
At the time, the local guys used to say, "If you can't score in in Veggy's or Gilly's. you're dead!"

Pub nicknames! there's probably another thread there,the carbolic,dark house etc.
Did you never frequent the Coleen Bawn? I understand that was the in pub years ago,or the Swan and sugar loaf,met the Mrs in there after failing in Gilly's and the Vic!
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.21pm
Blimey, I can see I have my work cut out for me! For some reason replies are not getting back to me so I have to go into the site again to read them. Thanks, all, and I shall keep looking and keep sketching. I shall definitely be doing the insides rather than the outsides at this time of year. So far the ones I have already done are The Albert Arms, The Prince of Wales, the Duke of York, The Good Intent and the Flowers of the Forest. Cafes include Mamuska, Castle Brasserie, and in SE11 but nearby, the Brasserie Toulouse Lautrec. All ideas welcome!
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.24pm
For an inside sketch i'd say the Kings arms (carbolic) in Newcomen st might be worth a look.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.52pm
Why the carbolic?
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.57pm
The inside of the Lord Clyde is fab, in typical original pub style.

The inside of the Laughing Gravy is also very appealing, particularly at this time of the year - very cosy and twinkly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions