London SE1 community website

Which SE1 pub is your local?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Tuesday 4 December 2012 2.58pm
Why the nickname? Although I never witnessed it,apparently years ago carbolic is what they used to clean the place with and it stank the place out,I never knew the actual name of the pub (I had to look it up for this thread) it was always The Carbolic.
If your asking why the pub for the sketching it's open plan with see through bar,not an artist myself but I thought there might be some scope in there.
Tuesday 4 December 2012 3.05pm
Thanks for that! hope they have stopped using carbolic!
Tuesday 4 December 2012 11.53pm
boroughonian wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
I've been meaning to try the Victoria on Pages Walk for a while now as well.

In the late 70s and in the 80s, (IIRC), the Vic was known locally as Veggy's, the governor, John, possibly had, or used to have, an interest, family or otherwise, in a fruit and veg stall I always thought.
He had another pub in Wild's Rents that his wife Gill used to run, it was called Gilly's.
At the time, the local guys used to say, "If you can't score in in Veggy's or Gilly's. you're dead!"

Pub nicknames! there's probably another thread there,the carbolic,dark house etc.
Did you never frequent the Coleen Bawn? I understand that was the in pub years ago,or the Swan and sugar loaf,met the Mrs in there after failing in Gilly's and the Vic!

I was never a serious "frequenter" of The Coleen Bawn, but after my first wife finally saw the light and kicked me into touch, I began a liaison with a girl who did a couple of nights a week there as a barmaid.
I would go in when she was working and get double whiskeys for the price of a shot.
A good friend of mine "fronted" as guv'nor in The Swan and Sugar Loaf when it was owned by someone who couldn't be a licensee because of his (alleged) bad character.
That was a good pulling pub, as you know by your own obvious good fortune.
I met my own second, (and please God final), wife in The Red Cow, it was her own hen night!, but you can't beat the charm and gentle persuasion of a sweet talking Bermondsey boy!
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.04am
The Market Porter in Borough Market for meeting friends.

The Union Jack near Southwark tube for watching sport.

The Lord Clyde for decent beer in a proper boozer.

I make these recommendations after years of dedicated research!
Wednesday 5 December 2012 6.26am
Brilliant. My pencils will be at the ready!
Wednesday 5 December 2012 8.14am
Back in the 1960's it was the 'Dun Cow' for me, if you wanted a quiet mid-week drink with your mates and a competitive hour on the pin-ball machine, and the Thomas a'Becket for live entertainment on the weekend.
I never drank in the Colleen Bawn, but a couple of my mates were in there one evening when a bloke rushed in and attacked another bloke with an axe. They legged it and never went back.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 3.38pm
the libertine
Wednesday 5 December 2012 3.59pm
both The Libertine and the Glad are near me so I shall pay them a visit v. soon. Today sketched a place called House Cafe Restaurant in Walworth Road. Huge cavern of a place with huge quantities of food.
Wednesday 5 December 2012 4.41pm
The Anchor Tap in Horselydown Lane is really old and rather picturesque - lots of wood and cubby holes, plus a real fire in the grate. Shame the staff are so miserable!
Wednesday 5 December 2012 5.02pm
Hell, this is a useful list prior to christmas! With you on The Rose Longlaner, can't imagine the refurb will have that special blurry edge as the night wore on of days past.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions