London SE1 community website

SOS Save Our Subways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Tuesday 7 July 2015 5.28pm
Indeed, an alternative car metaphor would be a squashed wonky pentagonal steering wheel with a spoke across the middle that rose in the middle to a surface level 'horn'.
But even that metaphor's not quite right and there wasn't a map I could find anywhere with accurate positioning of ramps, stairs and numbering until I drew this one in 2012 and distributed on flyers and the web... 53 years after they were built and too late to change the far too prevalent perception (particularly amongst London's numerous occasional subway users) that they were a crime-ridden-labyrinthine-sewer that could only be fixed by petrifying them in gallons of liquid concrete!
Wednesday 8 July 2015 7.30am
I took this picture yesterday.

All in all, just another brick in the wall...

Wednesday 8 July 2015 11.27am
Surprised no one has entered a planning design for a trendy bar....possible names...Well and Truly Tusked Up!
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.18pm
There's a popular sandwich chain that would have fitted in nicely down in our subways. At times a few joshers thought Save Our Subways was a campaign against rival sandwich shops threatening the demise of the 12" sub.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.26pm
This just in from TfL clarifying the closure of the two remaining subways - they're to be for the exclusive use of TfL staff, ZiL lanes for the superior pedestrian, well sort of. This is what they say:

"The subways below New Kent Road and the Elephant and Castle link road will remain open until later this year. While they are to be retained for London Underground works as part of the northern line ticket hall expansion, they will be closed to the public and replaced with pedestrian crossings which will open early next year. "

So it seems if you want to use them from later this year you'll need to be able to pass yourself off as working for TfL!
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.30pm
Perronetonian wrote:
So it seems if you want to use them from later this year you'll need to be able to pass yourself off as working for TfL!

I better get myself a hi-viz vest and hard hat then...
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.40pm
I must admit I am annoyed the the lack of alternative provision for the now closed Newington Causeway subway. The existing crossing is a long way away and understandably people are nipping across the road ahead of it - this was obviously going to happen. Around 20 people were stood in the middle of the road this morning attempting to cross. Very dangerous.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.47pm
williamn wrote:
I must admit I am annoyed the the lack of alternative provision for the now closed Newington Causeway subway. The existing crossing is a long way away and understandably people are nipping across the road ahead of it - this was obviously going to happen. Around 20 people were stood in the middle of the road this morning attempting to cross. Very dangerous.

It's worth impressing your frustration on public liaison officer Glenn Tobin (on holiday this week). I had a site meeting with him about the travel plans and emphasised Newington Causeway as the one that looked most dangerous with the current arrangement.

I have managed to get the ramp reopened that leads down into the subways by the tabanacle so people using anything with wheels can still use the crossing, and we got quite a lot changed and police on watch for several days when Princess St was closed for TfL work recently causing choas between cyclists and pedestrians colliding. So they do respond to some of the interim arrangements even if they barely budge about the overall bodge.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 1.48pm
williamn wrote:

It's worth impressing your frustration on public liaison officer Glenn Tobin <Glenn.Tobin@ringwayjacobs.com> (on holiday this week). I had a site meeting with him about the travel plans and emphasised Newington Causeway as the one that looked most dangerous with the current arrangement.

I have managed to get the ramp reopened that leads down into the subways by the tabernacle so people using anything with wheels can still use the crossing, and we got quite a lot changed and police on watch for several days when Princess St was closed for TfL work recently causing chaos between cyclists and pedestrians colliding. So they do respond to some of the interim arrangements even if they barely budge about the overall bodge.
Wednesday 8 July 2015 3.12pm
Well I'm going to be there in the Delancy office tomorrow making my feelings VERY plain. I have a feeling the Tfl might listen to Delancy before they listen to me. This whole bloody thing is just ridiculous, and the whole E&C is being turned into some superhighway for vehicles and is getting more and more resident unfriendly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions