London SE1 community website

SOS Save Our Subways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Thursday 9 July 2015 6.15pm
I confess to not being a lover of the subways per se and generally prefer overground crossings however to close the subways this long before an alternative overground crossing is in place is absurd. Coming from NKR the other day I joined a flood of people dashing across the road to get to the Bakerloo line entrance as I had got to the closed E&C pub before I realised about the closure. From that point it's quite a far way in the wrong direction to get over the official crossing and to the tube. An accident seems really likely - can we have a lollypop lady/man/person until they get round to opening new crossings?
Thursday 9 July 2015 10.53pm
Two meetings at the E&C shopping centre today. More tomorrow. Will report.
Friday 10 July 2015 9.44am
SophieLondon wrote:
I confess to not being a lover of the subways per se and generally prefer overground crossings however to close the subways this long before an alternative overground crossing is in place is absurd. Coming from NKR the other day I joined a flood of people dashing across the road to get to the Bakerloo line entrance as I had got to the closed E&C pub before I realised about the closure. From that point it's quite a far way in the wrong direction to get over the official crossing and to the tube. An accident seems really likely - can we have a lollypop lady/man/person until they get round to opening new crossings?

I agree. The more people that make the case to the contractor's Public Liaison Officer Glenn.Tobin@ringwayjacobs.com and TfL direct Cassidy Andrew <AndrewCassidy@tfl.gov.uk> the more likely they'll put a safer contingency in place.

The lack of consideration about practical safe crossings for pedestrians in the interim is to me further evidence of how little TfL care for pedestrians in the bigger picture and how poorly served we'll be when the diggers have left. Boris and Blue Labour see pedestrians as flâneurs in search of 'places to linger', and it's only motorists and cyclists who are purposely trying to get from a to b.
Friday 10 July 2015 10.01am
There seems to be a kind of reverence for Tfl among the developers which seems to me utterly nonsensical. The great and the good at the exhibition yesterday professed to much appreciating the underpasses still extant...but"its a decision by TFL" so I said that decisions can be reversed ...meantime the new shopping centre will be a collection of wind tunnels. Welcome to New York. I'll be on the case again today.
Thursday 8 October 2015 11.08am
Subway 8, the one linking the Tabernacle & LCC to the market, shopping centre and northern line is to close on 16 October 2015. No new replacement surface crossing will be built until April 2016. That means pedestrians from the second busiest subway in the network will have to use the surface crossing at the other end of The Ring road link road, yes this ridiculous one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm8O_J0pxLQ . It's a major inconvenience and will surely lead to frustrated, risk taking behaviour from nimble pedestrians. Once again it confirms TfL's interest in enhancing the pedestrian journey here is superficial not substantial, why else would they week after week pay for ads in the newspapers showing a delighted pregnant woman and a man in a wheel chair commending the project... because they want us to believe the nonsense. The truth of the matter are dangers are being engineered in due to a misguided belief in shared space, the tolerance of shrinking pedestrian space and the total rejection of the value subways offer for safely and efficiently letting people cross major ring roads, read the details here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.680335382102563.1073741831.150748711727902&type=3

TfL's letter:

As you may be aware, we are working to transform the northern roundabout at Elephant and Castle. The improvements being introduced include a new two-way traffic system, segregated cycle lanes and surface-level pedestrian crossings.

Link Road subway closing – 16 October

The next stage of the project involves permanently closing the Elephant and Castle Link Road subway, which currently connects the London Underground Northern line station and the London College of Communication. This subway will close on 16 October.

A new crossing between the Northern line station and college will open in April 2016, when the works to the roundabout and the Link Road itself are complete. We apologise for any inconvenience.

In the meantime, the nearest surface level pedestrian crossing is on Newington Butts, north of the junction with Walworth Road, and will be clearly signed for pedestrians.

The New Kent Road subway will remain open until later this year. We will be in touch nearer the time to confirm the closure date.
Thursday 8 October 2015 12.16pm
Utter UTTER disaster. There are no proper crossings anywhere. There should be temporary crosswalks well timed if they are going to
chuck us out of the subways for SIX MONTHS we need more than apologies for "inconvenience" ie. Getting run over, going miles out of our way ...crossing at NEWINGTON BUTTS for God's sake!! Are the having a laugh?
Thursday 15 October 2015 10.40am
I will be voting with my feet and will take my shopping somewhere else, I won't bother walking around the bloody place loaded with my shopping. I'm surprised the shops/market stands at the shopping centre have not complained, I'm sure they'll suffer a massive drop in their sales as a consequence.
Thursday 15 October 2015 12.32pm
Yes, footfall through the market will fall dramatically if the subway closes as scheduled tomorrow, although by far the greatest volume of pedestrians (more than double any other subway using data from a few years ago) use the one under New Kent Road which open remains for a month or two more.

A few days ago The Maccabees, a band who I've been collaborating with over the last few years, unveiled their latest video much of which was filmed in the Elephant and Castle subways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Zr8Ri5iCE

Sadly almost all (except what I've had salvaged) of this characterful 'place making' artwork has been drowned in liquid cement by TfL against the instructions of the TfL architects who, like me, hoped some of them might be reopened for an alternative use one day.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions