London SE1 community website

SOS Save Our Subways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Sunday 23 December 2012 10.38am
@jackie rokotnitz Great to have your support for the subways. You're right, a previous redevelopment plan had those tunnels being reused for utilities, but that's no longer the case because the high tech eco energy distribution (MUSCo)was scrapped: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5073

David Bratby, the artist of the murals in four of the tunnels, gave about 20 of us a fascinating tour of them on Thursday evening. I hope to repeat the event in the new year. He gave a fascinating insight into the commissioning process from Southwark, the way in which local people were recruited in the shopping centre to volunteer as models throughout and the challenges of painting them and tiling them. We learned that evening that the first three tunnels were painted by Denise Cook, but I haven't tracked her down yet.

I'm planning to edit and upload a short video of the tour with highlights and hopefully repeat the occasion in the new year. There are some photos on the roundabout's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout

On 2 Februrary there will be a guerrilla spruce up as we hit those subways with a bucket of soapy water and sponge. It won't fix them but it's a start. More info here: www.saveoursubways.org/events.html
Sunday 23 December 2012 11.02am
Zoe wrote:
Lets invite Banksy in to do some, the Council would want to preserve the tunnels then, as they would suddenly appreciate in value.

no, modern art, especially anything painted directly on walls, is anti-social behaviour. council knows best.

oh. hang. on.
Sunday 23 December 2012 3.04pm
If you're having a scrub up, (wonderful news) maybe you can jet wash the chewing gum on the floors. Who ARE the people who have this disgusting habit of chucking their gum? May they sit on a chair and get gum on their trousers....
Saturday 2 February 2013 11.45pm
Well, Perronetonian organised a clean up of the subways today and we managed a whole wall! My 4 year old had a ball sponging down the paintings. And Jackie, if you know how I'd be happy to have a crack at those horrid chewing gum things, too.
Sunday 3 February 2013 8.01pm
Hi Katia - Thanks so much for helping on Saturday and bring Martha too. Lyla and I are just back from painting that horribly grotty old metal door a very fresh shade of green called "Arsenic". I hope it meets Martha's approval - she did request green. It's something I had in the cupboard for painting a toilet... which somehow seems appropriate.
Sunday 3 February 2013 10.35pm
It was good fun. She will be excited about the green door. She told Mark about you- she thinks the she cleaned the subways with Andy from "Andy's Wild Adventures" (she thinks you look like the gamekeeper in a children's TV show).
Monday 4 February 2013 8.27am
Well that's a new one for comparison!

SE1 have just published a story about our clean up here, you and Martha came just after James and his camera and microphone had left.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6593
Wednesday 17 April 2013 1.48pm
SaveOurSubways.org got spotted by a BBC2 documentary maker looking into the challenges on our transport today, and they ended up coming to film with Lyla and I last weekend for three and a half hours towards a one hour show provisionally titled "King of the Roads". The big question is who is king or can roads be a utopian shared space with no one as top dog? The crew would like to come back and film more. Who's up for another clean up / painting session some time soon? e-mail [email protected]
Thursday 18 April 2013 4.35pm
Join us on Saturday 11th May 2013. 1.30pm - 3pm

It's time to put on those marigold gloves and show these subways some love again with a good old fashioned spring clean. The tiles come up all lovely and new with a bit of a sponge, even the mural dazzles with years of grime wiped away. We've even given one door a lick of paint (Farrow & Ball of course), and we've got our eyes on some more. Cleaning materials will be provided free of charge but you're also welcome to bring your own. We'll be using mops, buckets, soap, sponges and plastic gloves. Refreshments also provided.

We will gather at the centre of the Elephant and Castle Roundabout at 1.30pm or there abouts. This event is generously supported by WeWillGather.co.uk and also by GuerrillaGardening.org

Please 'JOIN' the event at the Elephant and Castle Roundabout Facebook event page here http://www.facebook.com/events/357299307725144/ and invite your friends!
Thursday 18 April 2013 6.42pm
So sorry I'm not around.I'd be there in a twinkling. Will be there in spirit.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions