London SE1 community website

SOS Save Our Subways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Monday 13 May 2013 2.58pm
Perronetonian wrote:
Perhaps those who clean the subways might get a rebate, but none of us are asking for that. We just expect the council to invest in employing professional empowered staff (I've not met many) who have the resources to do their job properly, whether planers, cleaners or fire safety officers.

No, that's all to 'Big Society' for me. The rebate should go to all. Probably about 1p each. Anyhow, of course, you aren't asking for that.

The expectation that the Council would clean the subways seems more like a dream these days.
Monday 13 May 2013 6.05pm
Sorry I had to sacrifice Sat in favour of the all-night shift at the Moonwalk. Send me a message and I will distribute leaflets in my building and around Hayles St/Elliot's Row.
Monday 13 May 2013 6.25pm
Thanks Beverly. Perhaps we could rendezvous by your pavement garden this evening late (I'm free after 11pm) and you could take a stash of leaflets / handy maps. Or if that's too late, perhaps tomorrow.
Sunday 14 July 2013 12.23pm
On 10 July 2013 a new plan for the roundabout was unveiled. It destroys all subways and destroys the roundabout. It increases the length of the westbound inner ring road and with it air and noise pollution. The surface level crossings exacerbate this. The campaign to www.saveoursubways.org continues.

This conversation thread continues here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/172687
Tuesday 30 June 2015 9.32am
I have just walked from Walworth rd back to St Georges Circus.
Haha what a nightmare crossing at the E&C roundabout (formerly) is, it just took me 10 mins to get from the end of Walworth rd to the Tabernacle, joke.

What a dumb decision to take those subways away. I have just watched Mums with buggies trying to weave through the overshot traffic, when the little man's green.
I'd go so far as to say, a shameful decision. There has already been accidents where, one has to wonder whether it would have happened had they not taken the subways away.

As an aside, I have just beat the buses back from Wyndham rd to E&C, I was walking.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 10.09am
Well said boroughnian. Most people would prefer to go under the traffic instead of standing beside the buses and lorries breathing in carbon particulates. Go figure why this ridiculous decision gained traction.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 10.14am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Well said boroughnian. Most people would prefer to go under the traffic instead of standing beside the buses and lorries breathing in carbon particulates. Go figure why this ridiculous decision gained traction.

....and what a perfect height, in those buggies, the children are, to be able to get the maximum PPM (parts per million), of those particulates, as mum weaves through the traffic.

Shameful.

I might write to my new MP about this....oh hang on.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 1.57pm
Yes sadly Neil Coyle backed the current proposals at the roundabout 100% while Simon Hughes belatedly got stuck into challenging them and saving the two very busy direct subways under New Kent Road and Elephant Link Road (the two that will thankfully remain until late this year). Save Our Subways failed. Three more subways go this week and won't even be mothballed but pumped full of concrete. Crazy transport design, crazy waste of space.

Boris will be gone before the project is completed, Sir Peter Hendy of TfL has gone already, it just leaves Cllr Peter John and his stoge MP Neil Coyle standing to take the blame.

Even architect Stephen Witherford (brought in to beautify TfL's dodgy transport design) is despairing of how the project is going and the way in which Delancey have rejected his concept of "Elephant Square" and are turning their back on the nastier junction when they rebuild the shopping centre. Delancey told me this was their intention in early spring 2014 when I met them in their offices to talk about alternative proposals for the junction. I shared this news with anyone that would listen. But those with power chose not to and are engineering pointless piazza to nowhere.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 2.08pm
We will never understand why the residents of the Elephant are always the last people to get consideration.
jpm
Tuesday 30 June 2015 2.29pm
Fifty-two years ago the engineer and planner Sir Colin Buchanan wrote:

It is impossible to spend any time on the study of the future of traffic in towns without at once being appalled by the magnitude of the emergency that is coming upon us. We are nourishing at immense cost a monster of great potential destructiveness, and yet we love him dearly. To refuse to accept the challenge it presents would be an act of defeatism.

One of the key principles of his 'Traffic in Towns' report was the separation of cars and pedestrians - often by having them at different levels.

In our part of the world, this gave us the footbridges and high-level walkways in places like the Heygate Estate and the subways of the Elephant and Bricklayers' roundabouts.

Maybe inner-city life showed up some of the potential flaws in these ideas, but it was all done and delivered in a very considered, thinking way - not just dashed off as the latest architectural/traffic/planning fashion

Looking at the traffic chaos across SE1 at the moment, it's not clear that the same can be said of TfL
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions