London SE1 community website

Southwark Civic Review

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 14 January 2013 4.42pm
It's purely in the interests of transparency, and in response to a request for a more detailed explanation.
Monday 14 January 2013 8.28pm
boroughpaul wrote:
i love the way council jobsworths take 500 words to say something anybody else could express in 50!

I, for one, appreciate the effort to give detailed answers to people's questions.
Zoe
Tuesday 15 January 2013 8.24am
I have discussed this with several people and we think it would be sad to lose the ceremonial element of the mayor, yet we also don't want front line services cut. The general sense was that some savings should be made to the budget, but we should keep the core element. It's nice when the mayor turns up to events and everyone gets their photo taken. We don't want Southwark to lose that.
Tuesday 15 January 2013 1.30pm
I am finding this thread really interesting and welcome the openness. Thank you.
Tuesday 15 January 2013 3.31pm
boroughpaul wrote:
i love the way council jobsworths take 500 words to say something anybody else could express in 50!

Boroughpaul, have you had any personal dealings with Michael Cleere upon which to base your disparaging reference to him as a "jobsworth"? If not that's gratuitously offensive.

Michael, thank you for your efforts to engage with the SE1 community.
Tuesday 15 January 2013 7.22pm
My point concerned verbosity and the ability of council people to take 500 words to say something the rest of us can say in 50 I have had nothing to do with mr cleere ... Why would I ??
Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.50am
boroughpaul - your longwindedness is another person's detail.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 12.41pm
Possibly but I just wish detail didnt get in the way of clarity. Incidently my comment was not meant to denigrate Mr Cleere personally, of whom i know nothing. I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a very diligent councillor.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 12.47pm
I appreciate the clarification but at the risk of adding further to the word count, I am not a councillor. I am also not a 'jobsworth'. I am simply a council officer trying to do my job in a transparent, helpful way. I take very seriously Southwark's over-arching principle of looking after council money as if it's our own.

Meanwhile, many thanks for the surveys people have completed. We've received almost 300 so far, which is a very high return.

Comments posted here are also very helpful and much appreciated.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 1.45pm
boroughpaul wrote:
...Incidently my comment was not meant to denigrate Mr Cleere personally, of whom i know nothing. I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a very diligent councillor.

I'm glad you've nothing against Mr. Cleere, Boroughpaul... in that case I respectfully suggest that it was inappropriate to call him a "jobsworth", because by doing so you did denigrate him.

From the Collins English Dictionary:
Jobsworth
noun
(informal) a person in a position of minor authority who invokes the letter of the law in order to avoid any action requiring initiative, cooperation, etc
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions