London SE1 community website

Southwark Civic Review

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
ADT
Wednesday 16 January 2013 2.01pm
I'd love to have an elected mayor as head of the council. I like the idea of having a direct say in who leads the council as well as who becomes a councillor. I suppose however that would be outside the scope of this review...
Wednesday 16 January 2013 2.05pm
There was a referendum on having a directly elected mayor in Southwark exactly 10 years ago.

The turnout was one of the smallest ever in any public poll (11 per cent).

Those who did bother to vote overwhelmingly chose to retain the leader + cabinet model.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 2.23pm
And what referendum was that? Was the Southwark electorate written to announcing it? I wasn't.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 3.24pm
a disgraceful waste of public funds.

the mayoral limo constantly illegally parked in barnham street says it all ... why can't the mayor take the bus like the rest of us? oh, i forgot, the nearest bus stops to the council offices in tooley street have been closed more than they've been open in the past few years as the road is constantly dug up.

what's the number for southwark council limos?
Wednesday 16 January 2013 4.48pm
kellandj wrote:
the mayoral limo constantly illegally parked in barnham street says it all ...

I knew this would eventually prick the interest of those who dislike the limo. I hope you have put your views into the survey in the op!
Wednesday 16 January 2013 4.52pm
ADT wrote:
I like the idea of having a direct say in who leads the council as well as who becomes a councillor.
not likely to happen any day soon though, eh? :)
Wednesday 16 January 2013 4.52pm
urbanite wrote:
And what referendum was that? Was the Southwark electorate written to announcing it? I wasn't.

If you were on the electoral register you would have been (at least to be sent a polling card)! IIRC the Government called the referendum rather than the Council or a public petition. It is open to people to petition for another referendum on the subject. Personally I dislike the model.
Thursday 31 January 2013 10.53pm
I think the role that the present Mayor of Southwark does is wonderful,I wish I had her energy. I am sure that the limo that is uesd can be parked somewhere else. Why on earth did Southwark council move all the way to tooley street. In this world that we live in without money most things can not be done. We can't get away from the cost of travel because the price goes up rapidly every year.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions