London SE1 community website

Woolfson and Tay

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Friday 4 January 2013 1.26pm
how any bookshop stays in business in the days of Kindle and Amazon amazes me. i wonder what will replace the bookshop?
Saturday 5 January 2013 6.13pm
boroughpaul wrote:
how any bookshop stays in business in the days of Kindle and Amazon amazes me. i wonder what will replace the bookshop?

I agree. Although I regularly bought presents for people in Woolfson and Tay, I must admit that 90% of the books I buy, are electronic.

I am sad to see them go, but I am afraid that this is the year in which we come to realise that the way we shop has changed forever.
Saturday 5 January 2013 11.27pm
i am very sad - it was such an addition to the area. So amazon drive out all the high street competition and then dont even pay fair tax here against online homegrown competition. i boycotted them this christmas but feels a bit futile.

good luck in your next venture ladies - i thought the formula, location, atmosphere, personalities were all fantastic.
Monday 7 January 2013 4.31pm
Independent bookshops can still thrive, even in a recessionary era of e-books and Amazon. In order to do so, they have to have good stock, good presence, warm and friendly service, and above all they have to make book-buying an 'experience' by providing an attractive, inviting environment that people love to spend time in. W&T got some of these things right, but not all - and were hampered by a challenging unit to start with, both inside and out. If this was the ladies' first venture then lessons will be learned and the next incarnation will be even better. Best of luck to them.
Monday 7 January 2013 5.53pm
In the meantime the Riverside Bookshop in Hay's Galleria is well stocked and a delight to peruse. Nice staff and a loyalty card too. No fancy stuff like cafes, just good books and knowledgeable staff. A reader's heaven IMO!
Monday 7 January 2013 9.54pm
I liked it for gifts too i regularlynspent money there in the hope it would stay
Monday 7 January 2013 11.08pm
Given that one of the reasons they cite for closing is 'high rents', I hope it doesn't just turn into another chain store presuming that chains are more able to pay higher rents than small independent and enterprising businesses such as this bookshop.
Wednesday 9 January 2013 12.01am
Sad to see an independent retailer leave.

There's now 2 Prets on Borough High Street to join the 2 Starbucks . So my expectation is that W+T site will be clone of another place a couple of hundred metres away.
Wednesday 9 January 2013 12.17am
Phoenix wrote:
There's now 2 Prets on Borough High Street to join the 2 Starbucks . So my expectation is that W+T site will be clone of another place a couple of hundred metres away.

Well, to be fair, there's neither a Starbucks nor a Pret on Tower Bridge Road and the coffee served up in the bakery - the latte at least - is never quite right. A Caffe Nero might be appropriate for this site; something a little unusual!
Wednesday 9 January 2013 7.20am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Well, to be fair, there's neither a Starbucks nor a Pret on Tower Bridge Road and the coffee served up in the bakery - the latte at least - is never quite right. A Caffe Nero might be appropriate for this site; something a little unusual!

I strongly recommend Sobo- their coffee is excellent, on TBR and independently owned. Service very friendly and not expensive.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions