London SE1 community website

Woolfson and Tay

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 9 January 2013 11.08am
...and as this week has proven, just because it LOOKS like an independent:

The Guardian, Tuesday 8 January 2013 - Tesco chief defends Harris + Hoole branding
Wednesday 9 January 2013 11.16am
There's going to be a Harris & Hoole at Tesco Metro in Tooley Street

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 January 2013 1.23pm
Maurits, I had forgotten about Sobo, who do indeed make a very nice latte. It's been a while since I've been there.
Wednesday 9 January 2013 2.44pm
To whom this space is let will be a real test for the Igloo developers of Bermondsey Square. Following their failure to keep their promise to let to an independent food retailer it will be interesting to see who takes the site over. If it goes to a chain I suppose it will reflect the 'maturity' of the area in retail terms. If its a Starbucks or Nero then I will keep clear as I do anywhere I have a choice. I do, however, use Sainsbury, but somehow don't feel that's such a betrayal of local independents. Why is that?
Thursday 10 January 2013 1.06pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
There's now 2 Prets on Borough High Street to join the 2 Starbucks . So my expectation is that W+T site will be clone of another place a couple of hundred metres away.

Well, to be fair, there's neither a Starbucks nor a Pret on Tower Bridge Road and the coffee served up in the bakery - the latte at least - is never quite right. A Caffe Nero might be appropriate for this site; something a little unusual!

Which "bakery", Gavin? Are you referring to Del Aziz (almost next door), or The Little Bread Pedlar just the other side of TBR on Abbey Street? I've never had coffee in the latter but I'd be surprised if if it's not good - they serve Monmouth filter coffee - and their baked goods are excellent.
Thursday 10 January 2013 1.59pm
I can whole heartedly recommend the bread from The Little Bread Pedlar. Their spelt loaf is divine!
Saturday 12 January 2013 8.15pm
The Little Bread Pedlar has been closed these last few Saturdays...
Monday 14 January 2013 1.57pm
GrangeLady wrote:
The Little Bread Pedlar has been closed these last few Saturdays...
They were closed only two Saturdays, the one in between Christmas and New Year and the following one. It was open as usual this Saturday when I popped in for croissants (superb).
Monday 14 January 2013 5.09pm
I have gone to maltby street market two sats in a row and lots of stall holders hadnt opened. Bit annoying
Monday 14 January 2013 5.48pm
Julia7239 wrote:
I have gone to maltby street market two sats in a row and lots of stall holders hadnt opened. Bit annoying

Some traders take a long holiday at this time of year because trade is relatively low volume and they can take the opportunity to have a break after the madness of pre-Christmas business. It may be causing YOU a bit of incvonvenience but give them a chance, perhaps they'll be back soon.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions