London SE1 community website

Copper Kettle, Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 8 January 2013 5.18pm
Whip crack away! :-)
Tuesday 8 January 2013 5.42pm
Were truncheons involved?
Tuesday 8 January 2013 7.54pm
It was called the Copper Kettle in the early 70's. Downstairs they had a DJ who played what might be considered "progressive" pop music. As teenagers we used to come into Fenchurch Street on the train from Essex and walk across the bridge to the pub before moving on to the pubs in the Old Kent Rd.
Tuesday 8 January 2013 7.56pm
I forgot to add, it was not on the corner but where the Bridge house is now.
WIZ
Tuesday 8 January 2013 8.30pm
Hi, Pgwalton
Well done mate what a life saver,like you we used to get the underground from East London walk over the bridge start off in there, and then go down the old kent road ,
I was starting to doubt my memory, i suppose the copper pub was running this as a separate bar?
Well at least now there is record of the Copper Kettle on the internet, bye the way do you recall a copper kettle hanging above the door?
Cheers WIZ
Tuesday 8 January 2013 9.18pm
DJed at a few Mod/60's Soul nights there in the 90's and early 2000's, was a great little room at the back. A guy who used to drink in my old local many moons ago told me he saw Black Sabbath in there at the end of the 60's when they used to put on rock bands.
Wednesday 9 January 2013 4.00pm
Hi Wiz, I do seem to remember a very copper kettle hanging outside acting as the the pubs sign.
Tuesday 10 January 2017 5.00pm
I used to live there as a child with my parents John and Margert Hope when it first opened and have very happy memories from there,we stayed for about 4 years, anyone who remembers my parents it would be nice to have a chat.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions