London SE1 community website

Local police stations

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 11 January 2013 12.34pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
I think it's important to be clear that it's the front counter at Borough High Street that is proposed to be closed and not the police station.
The BHS police station is mostly home to the Met's Counter Terrorism units and already doesn't house "regular" police officers. The cells were briefly used to house immigration deportation cases, but have not been used for regular prisoners in some years.

Personal I find little value in the front counter. As others have said, in an emergency it wouldn't be my point of contact. Front counters are usually staffed by civilians rather than police officers.
Fair enough.
Friday 11 January 2013 2.07pm
Yeah but the Community Police advise to use the front counter for non 999 cases- if residents cannot do that- will they waste 999 time? If they can't find anywhere to report it- I don't want to troll to Peckham ( no offence to Peckham) to report a non emrgency incident
For eg- they advise ( another war and peace thread elsewhere so I won't go into it) to report post theft at the local police station?
Friday 11 January 2013 2.30pm
One area where a DESK facility is useful is when you have your mobile phone stollen (increasingly so in SE1 it seems).
The front desk offers you the ability not to clogg up the phone system. Being able to report the crime instantly and they have all the telephone numbers you need should they have also taken your cards!!
If you have to wait to go home who knows what damage the theives have done to your bills and local police stations with front desks will know the type of crime in your area rather than a generic phone number !!!
Friday 11 January 2013 11.31pm
Kory wrote:
I don't want to troll to Peckham ( no offence to Peckham) to report a non emrgency incident

But if it's non emergency why would you want to report it in the middle of the night?
Saturday 12 January 2013 1.49pm
There's no pointing in trailing over to Peckham. You just get confronted by two extremely rude women who tell you to sit down and wait to be called because they are busy. They are busy talking about what they saw on TV last night and they don't call you, you just sit there.

Even the police know about this because if they ask you to go there to make a report or ID a mugger they give you a phone number and ask you to call them on your mobile when you get there rather than try and get the horrible women on the desk to do anything.
Saturday 12 January 2013 2.03pm
did not say anythin about the middle of the night?
Saturday 12 January 2013 6.09pm
Kory wrote:
did not say anythin about the middle of the night?

That's when the desks are being closed. During the daytime they will still be open.
Saturday 12 January 2013 6.12pm
Davies wrote:
Even the police know about this because if they ask you to go there to make a report or ID a mugger they give you a phone number and ask you to call them on your mobile when you get there rather than try and get the horrible women on the desk to do anything.

I must admit I have had a similar experience in Kennington Police station. Twice I tried to fulfill an appointment to give a witness statement to officers investigating a crime and both times I simply waited in reception for well over half an hour without being seen and ended up leaving in frustration. Not a great system.
Sunday 13 January 2013 6.22pm
sorry Neil I mus have misread/misundersood- did no realise Borough High St police station was sill going to be open in he dayime- I am sure I read to the contraRy but maybe got mixed up- humble aplogies. If the local police station counters are o be open in he day and we don't have to go to Peckham or report things at a Pos Office- then I don't see too much problem
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions