London SE1 community website

Burglaries in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Friday 11 January 2013 7.46pm
chalkey wrote:
froggy,
I can only repeat what the garage owner told me. The police were very clear in their warning that, 'If anyone injures themselves on the barbed wire while attempting to break in to your property, they can sue you.'
Crazy!
I agree about the barbed wire having to be visible, but these yobs were breaking in at night. I suppose the law's answer to that would be to install some expensive lighting so that the criminals could see the wire. Perhaps the local criminals could have had a whip round to pay for it. It would, after all, have been in their interest. Sorry, now I am being cynical.
I certainly don't suggest booby traps, trip wires or land mines, but if someone injures themselves whilst attempting to commit a crime, then it serves them right.

Would signage make any difference,I often wondered if I slipped on wet flooring that had signs telling me so would I have a case?
Friday 11 January 2013 8.03pm
Good point, boroughonian.
My immediate thought is, no, you wouldn't have a case.
The responsibility I would think would be with you to observe the signs and take heed of the warning. The other party would have fulfilled their responsibly by placing the sign in the first place. I may be wrong.
I read somewhere recently that CCTV images cannot be used as evidence if there are no signs saying it was in use. The criminals' argument being that if they knew CCTV was in operation, they wouldn't have committed the crime.
You've got to laugh, otherwise you'd b****y well cry!
Saturday 12 January 2013 12.55pm
phoenix-se1 wrote:
Just heard there were three burglaries last night in the Fort Road/ Reverdy Road area.
Apparently they force doors that haven't been double locked. Be careful folks.

Do you know what time of day they were Phoenix se1? There was one early morning on Christmas day on Fort Road too I think. Thanks for the heads up though - we will be especially carefull & spread the word
Sunday 13 January 2013 8.15am
chalkey wrote:
I read somewhere recently that CCTV images cannot be used as evidence if there are no signs saying it was in use. The criminals' argument being that if they knew CCTV was in operation, they wouldn't have committed the crime.
You've got to laugh, otherwise you'd b****y well cry!

You 'read somewhere' and so you believed it. A copper said so you believed it. Oh dear.
Sunday 13 January 2013 10.28am
I read somewhere recently that CCTV images cannot be used as evidence if there are no signs saying it was in use.



That is correct
Sunday 13 January 2013 10.31am
Not worth a response.
Sunday 13 January 2013 10.44am
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
I read somewhere recently that CCTV images cannot be used as evidence if there are no signs saying it was in use.


That is correct

No it is not. Where did you get that idea?
Sunday 13 January 2013 10.48am
chalkey wrote:
Not worth a response.

What a very disappointing level. Never mind truth eh?
Sunday 13 January 2013 11.50am
Beetroot, you can have your response.
It's stimulating to have debate, and that's one of the reasons I joined the site. That, and my affection for my old stamping ground. I didn't join it to get involved in nasty little scraps. (Which, history shows, you seem to delight in.) It's a shame that you sometimes have to get your point across waspishly and/or barbed.
I had a PM from someone a while back, in response to something I'd posted. They said they no longer posted on the site itself, because some people are, 'too aggressive.'
I'm not saying your post was aggressive, but it was a little less than pleasant.
Have another saucer of milk, old chap. And lighten up.
Sunday 13 January 2013 11.56am
Not worth a response.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions