London SE1 community website

Heygate Community Betrayal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Wednesday 16 January 2013 9.52pm
Boroughonian - to be frank I have no idea what the council is getting in return for tearing up the planning system for this developer handing over our parks and streets to be privatised or abandoning almost all the tenants who were promised a right of return.

One LD councillor who voted against the proposal kept asking that question and she got no answer, other than a nice new property development for the international corporation Lend Lease.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.26pm
Interesting comments, but it would also be great if people can start looking at all the positives that the redevelopment to E&C will finally bring to the area and stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I m tired of all the constant moaners, if you dont like it, move somewhere else, this is Central London and it needs to move with the rest of the world. Cheers
Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.33pm
3 minutes? Luxury, the last time I and my neighbours went to one of these we got 60 seconds to rebut the developers who had the benefit of expensive and corrupt light surveys that disguised the fact that three houses would be badly effected by averaging them out over a whole terrace, a tactic we didn't spot until AFTER our 60 seconds, for the whole neighbourhood affected, was up.

This borough of Southwark is rotten to the core.

Sadly.

I am so, so sorry about what is going on at the Heygate Estate, it's just horrific.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.44pm
thanks for your report Donna. I am appauled.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.49pm
Davies wrote:
I am so, so sorry about what is going on at the Heygate Estate, it's just horrific.
not according to peter john who instantly tweeted 'great news' (which indeed it was, for lend lease)

last night, both the councillors and council officers showed exactly who matters, possibly better than during any one other 'manifestation' of what we're told is 'local democracy' (which is a delusion anyway).
who matters are not the people who live in this borough because their local 'elected/representative body' needs to protect itself from the people they 'represent' by getting police and tons of security to keep the people out.
who matters are not the people who live in the borough because they are only allowed the three minutes to speak (although cllr nick dolezal, chair of planning committee, really made a point about how 'generously' they extended these three minutes to the whole five minutes for the 3 'local objectors', those 3 being the only 3 out of over 200 people who objected...
Wednesday 16 January 2013 11.03pm
"Aaron Bowden Wednesday 16 January 2013 10.26pm
Interesting comments, but it would also be great if people can start looking at all the positives that the redevelopment to E&C will finally bring to the area and stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I m tired of all the constant moaners, if you dont like it, move somewhere else, this is Central London and it needs to move with the rest of the world. Cheers"

So WE have to lose our homes to make YOU happy?
How about YOU move out of central London to make US happy?
Wednesday 16 January 2013 11.17pm
Aaron Bowden wrote:
Interesting comments, but it would also be great if people can start looking at all the positives that the redevelopment to E&C will finally bring to the area and stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I m tired of all the constant moaners, if you dont like it, move somewhere else, this is Central London and it needs to move with the rest of the world. Cheers
I doubt anyone gives a flying fig what you're tired of, or anything you have to say for that matter. Tara.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 11.23pm
well you got your way already Aaron - the 1,100 local families have already left (forcibly) for your "moving with the rest of the world" -

well if the rest of the world wants to destroy its communities and trash the planet that is their choice - I choose to have different values Mr Bowden.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 11.30pm
No member of the public created a disturbance.

Rather it was the chair who disrupted the meeting and caused havoc when he threw a wobbler because some members of the community who were upset at being betrayed raised in a beautiful silent dignified protest signs signifying their views.

The chair then started screaming at a member of the public (me) who peacefully took pictures of the democratic peaceful action.

Of course if you want to live in a society with no freedom of expression and where our public spaces are privatised and policed by private corporate security armies then you will have been very happy with last night's decision.

But some of us have a different hope and vision for a more planet loving and human loving future.
Wednesday 16 January 2013 11.57pm
Aaron Bowden wrote:

I agree with you, and so does the silent majority but unfortunately this forum is not a good representation… be prepared for a public lynching.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions