London SE1 community website

Heygate Community Betrayal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.09am
YNB79 wrote:
Aaron Bowden wrote:
Interesting comments, but it would also be great if people can start looking at all the positives that the redevelopment to E&C will finally bring to the area and stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I m tired of all the constant moaners, if you dont like it, move somewhere else, this is Central London and it needs to move with the rest of the world. Cheers

I agree with you, and so does the silent majority but unfortunately this forum is not a good representation… be prepared for a public lynching.
The "silent majority" is a myth. Otherwise you'd be posting on their forum rather than whingeing and being obnoxious on here. So do us all a favour and go.
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.12am
Why don't you post the results of your poll YNB79?
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.16am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
YNB79 wrote:
Aaron Bowden wrote:
Interesting comments, but it would also be great if people can start looking at all the positives that the redevelopment to E&C will finally bring to the area and stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I m tired of all the constant moaners, if you dont like it, move somewhere else, this is Central London and it needs to move with the rest of the world. Cheers

I agree with you, and so does the silent majority but unfortunately this forum is not a good representation… be prepared for a public lynching.
The "silent majority" is a myth. Otherwise you'd be posting on their forum rather than whingeing and being obnoxious on here. So do us all a favour and go.

We don’t need to, we have politicians that what to be elected so they follow what’s gets them elected (eg. what the majority wants). Do you think that the councilors were not thinking exactly what Aaron said when they gave this plan the go ahead “stop being negative and hold up regeneration to the area. It will still take at least a decade for these changes to be implemented and I’m tired of all the constant moaners”
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.17am
boroughonian wrote:

I did it’s called elections.
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.27am
YNB79 wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

I did it’s called elections.

Somehow I don't think we'd have a Labour council if that was the case do you?
Thursday 17 January 2013 12.38am
Despite being outraged I thought people remained very calm under the circumstances.

Check out this youtube clip of yesterday's fiasco showing Southwark's Head of Corporate Programmes. He tells waiting residents & objectors that the meeting is full and that there are only 2 spaces left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHUSIcLIons

Southwark's largest ever planning application with over 300 objectors is being heard in a room with a maximum capacity of just 100 people, and half the people already in that room are from the developers and council.

"We weren't expecting to completely sell out" objectors are told.

Well I think it can be said that they sold out...
Thursday 17 January 2013 1.05am
Donnachadh McCarthy wrote:
Boroughonian - to be frank I have no idea what the council is getting in return for tearing up the planning system for this developer handing over our parks and streets to be privatised or abandoning almost all the tenants who were promised a right of return.
One LD councillor who voted against the proposal kept asking that question and she got no answer, other than a nice new property development for the international corporation Lend Lease.

Thanks for answering a really stupid question (:
Thursday 17 January 2013 1.34am
Another report of the night in question with pics of those 'obnoxious' and 'moaning' protestors:

http://southwarknotes.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/how-the-elephant-was-sold-at-tooley-st-one-tuesday-night/
Thursday 17 January 2013 6.22am
it even was not true that all the seats were occupied. There were at least four seats immediately near where I was sitting and some others scattered around the room.

It says something to me about Southwark council's new role as corporate facilitator, that its offices have a huge expensive pointless "Atrium" and no room large enough to accommodate even a medium sized meeting of its citizens.

The sell-off of our town halls and replacement by a corporate headquarters symbolises the privatisation of even our local democracy.
Thursday 17 January 2013 6.33am
Good point re elections - BUT of course you are wrong about what happened - even the voters were shafted.

The residents of the Heygate voted for refurbishment but were betrayed by Simon Hughes MP and the Lib Dems when they got into power despite their promise to respect local consultation.

Result? They lost the ward in the next election.

BUT of course their Labour replacements were even worse and abandoned all pretence at social housing replacement or eco-development - as this weeks destruction of our of planning system demonstrated.

This means there was no viable main-stream political option for residents to vote for last time and anyway the voters and community directly affected had been largely evicted by this time....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions