London SE1 community website

Heygate Community Betrayal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12
Thursday 17 January 2013 3.40pm
actually on reflection Cllr Peter John was right.

The unnecessary disruption of the meeting was caused by someone not from the area - the only person indeed who disrupted the meeting was the chair Cllr Nick Dolezal who stopped the meeting in the middle of its tracks and started shouting at the silent peaceful members of the public who had democratic wishes on pieces of paper.

Of course he is a councillor from Peckham and not from the Elephant.
Of course Cllr Peter John as part of his destruction of local democracy shut down the local planning committees in the Borough last year, which used to have actual local councillors on them. But he wanted 100% control from the centre so he shut them down... is he not a lovely servant of the 1%?
Thursday 17 January 2013 4.37pm
Donnachadh McCarthy wrote:
actually on reflection Cllr Peter John was right.
The unnecessary disruption of the meeting was caused by someone not from the area - the only person indeed who disrupted the meeting was the chair Cllr Nick Dolezal who stopped the meeting in the middle of its tracks and started shouting at the silent peaceful members of the public who had democratic wishes on pieces of paper.

Of course he is a councillor from Peckham and not from the Elephant.
Of course Cllr Peter John as part of his destruction of local democracy shut down the local planning committees in the Borough last year, which used to have actual local councillors on them. But he wanted 100% control from the centre so he shut them down... is he not a lovely servant of the 1%?

I'd give you a +1 for that if I could. Incidentally, there were about 200 people at the meeting according to the Evening Standard...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-heygate-it-looks-nice-but-wheres-the-affordable-housing-8455168.html
Thursday 17 January 2013 11.22pm
The Standard article is interesting but definitely wrong on this point:

'Committee chairman Nick Dolezal threatened to hold the meeting behind closed doors unless the protests ceased but continued after security staff removed the placards'.

The protestors took down their placards after a friendly discussion amongst themselves and with other objectors in the room. As I understand it, the protest was never planned to shut down the meeting but to highlight the nonsense Lend Lease were saying. When it was time to move on, the protestors obliged knowing that having the meeting held behind closed doors would be an even worse idea than having a meeting where 50 local people couldn't get it. At no point did any security take people's placards. In fact they were very unwilling to confront people in this way when ordered to do so by The Chair.
Saturday 19 January 2013 9.01pm
I would like to put forward my viewpoint as a local taxpayer who pays towards subsidised Council housing, for which I do not qualify.

- I am extremely pleased at the outcome of the recent planning application for the Heygate Estate - it has been long, long overdue.

- The Council has secured a massive inflow of investment from private sources (i.e. Not from my taxes) and has secured new development in tough economic times.

- I am not by inclination a Labour supporter, but I admire the common sense pragmatism of this current adminstration over the wet Liberal ditherers who came before them and who wasted 10 years.

- SE1's problem is that it has far too much council housing - sorry, it's just not normal by any national or international standard. More private homes will Balance the community and improve diversity.

- SE1 is in the centre of a large international city. SE1 is getting richer, and it is going to keep getting richer - it is unstoppable and this is a positive thing, not something to be frightened about.

- The local schools in my assessment will improve if the catchment areas comprise of a normal, healthy Balance of Council estates amd private housing.

- Looking forward to some nice bars, restaurants and shops. At the moment, I have no inclination what-so-ever to shop or eat at the Elephant and Castle shopping centre.
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.05pm
Well said Floorplain. Most of the people I know in SE1 feel exactly the same.
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.12pm
drog wrote:
Most of the people I know in SE1 feel exactly the same.
Well, I guess those 1000 people who were cheated out of their right to return don't count as SE1rs anymore.
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.16pm
Floodplain wrote:

- SE1's problem is that it has far too much council housing - sorry, it's just not normal by any national or international standard. More private homes will Balance the community and improve diversity.

How much council housing is there in se1 and what are the national and international standards?
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.17pm
Drog and Floodplain, how long have you lived in SE1?
Saturday 19 January 2013 11.53pm
Are those anti-social housing posts like the spam messages that sometimes infest the SE1 website? I am all for freedom of speech, but they seem nothing more than a deliberate attempt to offend.
Sunday 20 January 2013 12.37am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Are those anti-social housing posts like the spam messages that sometimes infest the SE1 website? I am all for freedom of speech, but they seem nothing more than a deliberate attempt to offend.

Sadly not. They are part of the group that have "discovered" se1 in recent years and think what a jolly place it would be if it wasn't so full of poor people.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions