London SE1 community website

Heygate Community Betrayal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12
Sunday 20 January 2013 12.40am
Couldn't have put it better myself, Pieces of Eight! Perhaps James can set up a separate section of the forum for the elitists.
Sunday 20 January 2013 12.50am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Are those anti-social housing posts like the spam messages that sometimes infest the SE1 website? I am all for freedom of speech, but they seem nothing more than a deliberate attempt to offend.

Sadly not. They are part of the group that have "discovered" se1 in recent years and think what a jolly place it would be if it wasn't so full of poor people.
The reason I thought they are spammers is that I don't see any other reason why they would come trolling on here.
Sunday 20 January 2013 8.51am
Oh I SO agree. Floodplain..why are you living here at all? I LOVE the Shopping Centre. And frankly if you have no inclination to shop there...why not go and live in Sloane Street instead, where you can have lots of upmarket designer shops and swanky restaurants. As edward Woodward says, how long have you lived here? I've been here for years, have watched the successive debacles regarding the Regeneration, was close friends with many of the ill used Heygate residents (and, in case you're wondering, Floodplain, I'm an ex Deb who went to Roedean so dont give me any classist nonsense here). If by "diversity" you mean more people like me (or apparently, you) you dont know the make up of the community here, or what has made it, for years, a terrific part of town. Does "getting richer" mean getting nicer or better? I dont think so. And certainly not on the back of long term residents who lived in the Elephant for years before you were born and were promised a fair deal which they did not get.
Sunday 20 January 2013 9.21am
Lived in SE1 for over 20 years. Why is this relevant? So newcommers to the area have no say. Is my opinion worth less as i moved to SE1 and do not live in social housing.
Fact - The elephant and castle shopping centre is a dump, smelly and long past its sell by date. Why should an area not improve. Southwark and SE1 have been an experiment that has gone wrong for far to long. Only now can I see any opportunity for the area to escape the awful reputation it has built up over the years. Why are people so fearful of change.
Sunday 20 January 2013 10.29am
Who says we arent in favour of change? What rot. Of course we'd like things to be renewed and all that. But a)the original residents of the Heygate were promised new homes which never materialised. b)the Shopping Centre is NOT smelly or, in my view, a dump. It's old, it's not a modern Westfield development..it is what it is. But it provides all one's basic needs and it's warm and under cover, and I dont expect there to be a Cordon Bleu restaurant there...that's fine. If I want fancy food at high prices I'll go to the Lobster Pot. c)Changing the demographics and getting rid of all those poor people and having a lot of Sloane Rangers instead? Is that what everyone wants? Not me. I loathe the Kings Road. And if the Elephant area gets like that I'll move!
Sunday 20 January 2013 10.47am
First off - let me make clear that this is a website for everyone who lives, works or has an interest in the SE1 are and its environs.

Whatever their housing tenure and however long they have lived here, I want people to feel welcome on this website and to find something useful and interesting here.

That's the starting point.

Whilst I think it's healthy to hear opinions that challenge us and make us uncomfortable (and I, personally, certainly find some of what drog and floodplain have said hard to stomach), I'd ask posters on both sides of the debate to avoid giving rise to unnecessary offence in the way they express their views.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 20 January 2013 11.03am
Does floodplain not realise that the shopping centre demolition was supposed to be part of the masterplan planning application?
It was pulled from the application because its owners have held Southwark council over a barrel. Now all Southwark can do is let them give it a new lick of paint and build a residential tower above.
The original plans for a civic square with cafes and restaurants have all been ditched.
If he is keen on seeing the shopping centre levelled, then he should be upset that it wasn't part of the application on Tuesday.
Sunday 20 January 2013 11.12am
Wow - Breathtaking.

Some of you are clearly not happy with recently arrived residents voicing an opinion.

For certain you are living in the wrong city !

London is full of recent arrivals, and always has had a high turnover of different people. London hosts a wonderful diversity of people from different backgounds, countries, religions - these limited views seem, at the very best, un-welcoming.

As I said - SE1 is changing fast - clearly these voices are unhappy; and as I can clearly read; more than a little worried about that - unhappy that the Balance of power could possibly shift from silos of welfare-dependent voters, to working, tax-paying voters?

Something is going to have to give - you may have noticed out in the real world that the country is short of cash after Gordon Brown's spending spree ( remember him?) and therefore we can no longer afford Europe's largest welfare state.

You don't need to live in a desert for long to realise that it is short of water - what I am observing is that SE1 has a gross im Balance towards too much social housing and that what it desperately needs is more private housing, better schools, better shops and restaurants and a nicer environment.

This is why the Heygate decision last week was correct and why we are very lucky to have the outcome achieved by the Council.
Sunday 20 January 2013 12.01pm
Problem is the social housing is already there even if you think there is too much of it. So where should those residents go? And then, of course, why should they go?
Sunday 20 January 2013 12.08pm
Floodplain - your posting is completely and unnecessarily insulting.

The vast majority of social housing tenants are decent hard working tax-paying residents - many of them just so happen to be in jobs that are not paid well.

People are not objecting to your comments because you are new (many people involved in trying to ensure community and environmental values are respected in the Elephant are also new or immigrants but many of them also recognise the needs and rights of those who have lived here all their lives and their families before them - unlike your crude right-wing views.)

But your posting is useful in that it demonstrates that the support for Cllr Peter John's social cleansing and 21st Century Municipal Corporatism on behalf of the Corporate 1% comes from the right.

BTW Gordon Brown's major spending was to try and rescue the economy from the disastrous criminality of the rich bankers and speculators (Tory/Labour deregulation created), the very people who now will probably live in the homes of those Southwark has kicked out.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions