London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Market - support needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Zoe
Saturday 19 January 2013 8.34pm
Got some really delicious sausages from galileoorganicfarm, some odd cheese (nice but odd), wonderful bread and some carrots. Phil is right though, closer to Waterloo would be nice, those carrots were heavy.
Saturday 19 January 2013 9.58pm
Where is Spa Terminus and what days are they there? feel a bit naughty highjacking the excellent Bermondsey Market thread.!
Sunday 20 January 2013 3.16pm
Its in the old dock estate on spa road. They have just started selling fish on a saturday. I bought some nice smoked fisha and a nice slab of haddock yesterday
Zoe
Sunday 20 January 2013 4.11pm
Thanks for the info Julia. What time does it operate and will it be fairly obvious to the geographically challenged amongst us? (I don't mean you Jan!)
Sunday 20 January 2013 4.12pm
http://www.spa-terminus.co.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Sunday 20 January 2013 5.52pm
Ah, a website and map, even I can find that. Thanks James.
Monday 21 January 2013 12.02am
From the days when Maltby St. was a local secret and reprieve for parents needing their coffee fix but buggying up queues (I, guilty), Maltby and Spa Terminus have grown from strength to strength due to the fine folks who've made a go of putting out really delicious food items for sale and the fantastic vibe on the Ropewalk. It's really great that I can get the best coffee and crossiant, cheeses, jamon, and the freshest fish in London (if Les goes fishing), and two of the finest butchers in London (the Butchery and now O'Sheas) are blocks away!

The words been out, just search TimeOut for a guide. And Zoe, if you get lost you'll notice groups of people who don't look like South Londoners but walking about with their phones out. They too are looking for the shops. Do go. It really is a chill out way to spend a Sat.

For Fabienne and the stall holders at the Square, I suggest moving the market to somewhere along the Maltby route. Footfall has grown and the people going are foodies. And I would suggest possibly experimenting by opening on Sunday as some of the Ropewalk sellers have started opening on Sundays as well.
Monday 21 January 2013 9.48am
Please, please stop using the word 'foodies' to define those who go to Maltby or other markets. It just underlines the pretentious, exclusivity often hinted at in the write-ups about these places, as if all the customers who use them should regard themselves as a species apart from everyone else, with some mystical superior ability to appreciate food!
Monday 21 January 2013 11.14am
I live in Bermondsey square and we absolutely love the market! Bought a topside of beef from you for our Sunday roast yesterday and it was so delicious - thanks!

Perhaps you could advertise to the residents in the square by doing a mail drop or a flyer in the reception? There are a lot of offices in the square too, although they are only around M-F if they knew about the great produce on offer they may venture back on a Saturday.

The local business and notice board could help leverage the market to.
Monday 21 January 2013 11.35am
Agree that earlier opening and/or Sunday would be better. Price/value is also not that fantastic even compared with some stalls in rip-off Borough Market. And Spartacus is right in saying that many patrons of food markets do not have a mystically superior ability to appreciate food, witness the prices they are willing to pay for often poor quality produce. My pet hate is the stall that sells a very small quantity of French gherkins in a plastic tub - when you can buy them in a large jar for eight or ten times (I'm guessing) the quantity at a lower price in a French supermarket. Which may of course be exactly what the stallholder does.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions