London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Square Market - support needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 21 January 2013 12.09pm
I live less than 1/3 miles from Bermondsey Square Market and had no idea there was a farmers' market on a Saturday, so pehaps a flier could be circulated around the local area. I shall certainly venture up to it next Saturday.
Monday 21 January 2013 8.01pm
I go every Saturday to Bermondsey Square market and would be extremely disappointed if it didn't continue to be supported. Ever since it opened I prefer to shop there regularly than Borough Market which is now too busy and too touristy for locals to pop in and buy veg, bread, etc. It is also closer to me. We need to keep supporting Bermondsey Sq or we will lose it, but it also needs the stalls to be there regularly. It will only work if both sides do their bit.

My preference is for it to continue on Saturdays and not switch to Sundays.
Monday 21 January 2013 9.27pm
Happy to distribute leaflets in my block. To be honest ... love it and haven't been for a little while, so will make the effort next Saturday. I love it, and would hate to lose it.
Tanya
Monday 21 January 2013 10.59pm
My problem is that I simply forget the market is there. Have you considered a market delivery service? Personally I'd love to have a weekly order of bread, eggs and bacon if I could get it delivered to my door first thing on saturday morning.

I don't think a simple website would take too much to set up, even with on-line payments, or do it for cash on delivery. Each vendor could have their own section on the site which they would need to keep up to date with their products and prices. Customers would choose their products in advance, say how often they'd like them delivered, that sort of thing. There would obviously be a delivery charge, and you would limit delivery to very near by streets only, walking distance maybe to start with.
Tuesday 22 January 2013 9.10am
I live in a block with over 100 flats 5 minutes walk away...happy to leaflet on your behalf if you want
Tuesday 22 January 2013 2.27pm
Our block (nearby) has a couple of notice boards and I'd be happy to post flyers on them for you.

Speaking personally, I'm embarrassed to admit that the main reason why I don't get there very often is because I like to have a proper lie-in on a Saturday, so by the time I've risen, bathed, dressed and eaten it's all over bar the shouting at Bermondsey Square.
Zoe
Tuesday 22 January 2013 7.57pm
That's nothing to be ashamed of.
MAS
Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.53am
Also love the market and would hate to see it go! Especially love the fresh fish van (well, not the van obv!) However, not surprised that people don't know about it - I, personally, have never seen any advertising of this market (other than on this site!). Need more advertising - eg, I used to live in Sydenham and there was always huge banners set up at strategic points advertising the farmer's market in Dulwich college grounds. IMHO could do with more stalls (the Dulwich market was always v busy and lots of stalls; the market in Marylebone carpark fab - v v busy and lots of stalls).
Wednesday 23 January 2013 10.21pm
The market is ideal for picking up fresh produce for Saturday morning breakfast but 10am is relatively late if your planning to crack on with other things Saturday (late morning/afternoon). I'd like to see the market open a little earlier with a bit more produce on offer. One morning I was quite early and the trader told me he had to wait until after 10 to serve me so there is obviously some sort of strict trading hours agreement rather than the traders just not turning up until 10. I imagine they pay more for their pitch if they trade longer or maybe there's a rule about trading before 10??
Wednesday 23 January 2013 10.29pm
Matt T wrote:
The market is ideal for picking up fresh produce for Saturday morning breakfast but 10am is relatively late if your planning to crack on with other things Saturday (late morning/afternoon). I'd like to see the market open a little earlier with a bit more produce on offer. One morning I was quite early and the trader told me he had to wait until after 10 to serve me so there is obviously some sort of strict trading hours agreement rather than the traders just not turning up until 10. I imagine they pay more for their pitch if they trade longer or maybe there's a rule about trading before 10??

I rather agree with this: I am there often and I wish the market started earlier, as Saturday is usually a busy day for me.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions