London SE1 community website

Council Tax cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Thursday 21 February 2013 6.53pm
Thanks Julia
Very kind of you- it has been going better with alot of meets last two weeks. My CV is, in my profession not as in most jobs and is done by my relevent agents ( with imput from me) But it is very kind of you indeed to offer.
I agree Southwarks's greed is hideous and lack of common sense
Thursday 21 February 2013 7.54pm
Graham - Thank you for the links. I've contacted Southwark housing previously with my queries and no-one there could be bothered to respond (it's Southwark Council we are talking about, so no surprises there): hence a freedom of information request it may have to be.
Thursday 28 February 2013 7.24am
On the point about Third Party Payments and the Council's ability to take their cut from one's benefits, this article in The Guardian reminds us that among the most unfairly affected are the working poor who receive no other benefits.
Friday 1 March 2013 10.18am
The working poor are the true poor in Britain. So often forgotten by a media fixated on the work -shy.
Monday 4 March 2013 5.09pm
I've not had a formal reply to the letter I sent a month ago to Duncan Whitfield, Southwark's Director of Finance, asking him to justify his immense salary and suggesting he should do us all a favour by resigning. But I have had a request from the DWP for more info about my housing costs and a summons to be a 'assessed' by an Atos 'healthcare professional', even though I was last assessed a year ago and my healthcare problem is not the kind you recover from.

No doubt this is entirely coincidental and a member of the unelected and unaccountable oligarchy that runs Southwark would not be so spiteful as to sick the benefits police onto someone who dared to criticise? Of course not, the very idea is pure paranoia.
Saturday 9 March 2013 12.24pm
we've just started publishing things we'd found out so far (starting with bedroom tax but will be writing about council tax next)
part 1:
http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/2817-april-is-coming-bedroom-tax
part 2:
http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/2818-april-is-coming-bedroom-tax-2
any ideas/further info really appreciated
Saturday 9 March 2013 7.30pm
Pros,

This is not a 'tax' - it is a change to housing benefit rules. Let's try to be accurate.
Sunday 10 March 2013 12.17am
"Snore"
Sunday 10 March 2013 11.01am
Floodplain wrote:

This is not a 'tax' - it is a change to housing benefit rules. Let's try to be accurate.

It's certainly not a 'benefit' ... but then a floodplain is a great place for houses so we're told!
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions