London SE1 community website

Council Tax cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12
Thursday 24 January 2013 11.27am
Kory wrote:
I read though ( and I am sure I could have got this muddled) that it is up to each council to decide how they implement this.

Correct. Tower Hamlets (Labour), for example, are making no change to their Council Tax Benefit scheme.
Thursday 24 January 2013 12.51pm
my understanding was that the govenment was changing the system and the onus was being placed on councils to bring in thier own local schemes which the governement was to fund at 90% of the prior year budget. The notion being that the authorities would find 10% of savings when setting up their own local schemes????.
Presumably this is why Tower Hamlets are not asking people to pay but Southwark are either as the could not find savings or maybe did not bother to look.

seems really unfair that people are being punished for where they live in such a fashion
Thursday 24 January 2013 1.02pm
It seems to me that it is a matter of some disgrace that Southwark council has frozen the council tax for this year at the same time as implementing this action against the most vulnerable in the borough,a Labour council!
I shall be writing to Hilary Benn,who is the shadow minister for local government (can't think who else to contact on this)on this and other issues regarding this Labour council.
Thursday 24 January 2013 1.15pm
There's a piece in Today's Southwark News (p7) about how the administration could have funded the difference by stopping the discount on second homes.
Thursday 24 January 2013 2.56pm
In nine years of living in the Borough, I've never seen a copy of Southwark News.

How do you get one, Graham?
Thursday 24 January 2013 3.26pm
they are on sale at local newsagents every week - comes out on Thursdays i think
Thursday 24 January 2013 5.02pm
boroughonian wrote:
It seems to me that it is a matter of some disgrace
is an incredibly, possibly undeservedly, nice way of putting it.
The council and the councillors know that trying to squeeze the few pounds a week from those of us who don't have a penny to our name is going to cost more than the alleged savings they have been 'forced to make'.
That the council continues to choose to implement the 'good' (labour) cuts is simply a travesty.
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.25pm
Careful Pros,i'm in danger of using the dreaded term "social cleansing" and thus diverting yet another thread (; (oh I just have)!
I thought the word "disgrace" fitting as it's a Labour council doing it,if it had been a Tory one I might have been less surprised.
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.34pm
graham wrote:
There's a piece in Today's Southwark News (p7) about how the administration could have funded the difference by stopping the discount on second homes.

Of course the Lib Dems in Government could have stopped it for the whole country and not just one authority.
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.49pm
I have written to Simon Hughes re this- lets see if anything changes before May- I am the eternal optimist.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions