London SE1 community website

Council Tax cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.50pm
I'm in this situation as my acting work is intermittent. What makes it worse for me is I'm already paying out 5 a week for an overpayment of housing benefit going back to 2006! For the moment I'm choosing just to ignore the looming crisis but I can't literally afford to do that for long.
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.51pm
boroughonian wrote:
Careful Pros,i'm in danger of using the dreaded term "social cleansing" and thus diverting yet another thread (; (oh I just have)!
i've been saying this is one and the same struggle for a while now. the party allegiance is purely incidental.
Thursday 24 January 2013 6.52pm
i am a rocket scientist, though :)
Saturday 26 January 2013 2.07pm
I got my letter yesterday. I just don't know how I'm going to cope with this extra burden. What with this and the upcoming "universal credit" life isn't going to be worth living.
Saturday 26 January 2013 4.59pm
can't pay, won't pay ...
Saturday 26 January 2013 5.38pm
I can see that being the chant for many.
Sunday 27 January 2013 12.00am
I think I actually said can't pay won't pay in my email to Simon Hughes-Kellanj
I hope the councils have the sense in the next few monthes to re- think this travesty and realise it can only cost them dear- only the baliffs will profit
Saturday 2 February 2013 1.25pm
in the latest outburst of blackiswhitespeak the council is promising 'southwark residents' a council tax freeze.

would this mean that thousands of us who will now have to pay up to 15% council tax are less than 'residents'? what exactly are we then?
Saturday 2 February 2013 9.40pm
Could this thread widen its scope to other housing-related changes?

New Limits on Housing Benefit. (Have Southwark introduced these changes yet?)

Increases in Council House Rent. (What are the increases?)

Introduction of Council Tax contributions for those eligible for Council Tax Benefit.
Saturday 2 February 2013 9.52pm
well I had a letter from my Housing ASC to say my Housing Benefit was going to be effected because of benefit cuts and with the good news our rent is increasing- though it was new to me and I only know about CT Benefit cuts. Southwark have not informed me of anything to do with HB cuts!!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions