London SE1 community website

Council Tax cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12
Friday 8 February 2013 10.34pm
Thanks Floodplain- am getting there I think
Saturday 9 February 2013 9.31am
Floodplain wrote:
Able-bodied people of working age have got to start making a change in how they view benefits - they see them as a birth-right - this is not what they were designed for - they are supposed to exist as a safety net, and this principle has been distorted in recent decades.

Cheers Floodplain - I've not looked into the universal benefit yet. Other countries have the idea of a Citizen's Income, whereby everyone gets enough to live on unconditionally and then it's made back from progressive taxation at the top end of the income range. I suspect that the Universal Credit isn't a first step to that, though.

re regarding benefits as a birthright. While I don't see them as a birthright, I do see them as a right. Having paid taxes and NI for several decades, if I need them, they are my due and I wouldn't be a scrounger for taking them up.

When the welfare state was set up, the safety net was designed for an economy with full-employment. The prevailing view in the media and government seems to castigate the unemployed for not getting jobs while doing little to actually create them. Full employment just doesn't seem to be on anyone's agenda.

All difficult issues...
Saturday 9 February 2013 3.16pm
Article in The Daily Fail:
They squeal about cuts but the truth is town halls are spending more than ever - by fleecing you

Christopher Booker says, '... councils like Southwark in London earn tens of thousands of pounds a year by erecting large advertising hoardings on its pavements which do impede pedestrians, forcing them to squeeze round these giant obstacles when out on the street.

Anyone know what he's on about?
Zoe
Saturday 9 February 2013 3.29pm
But this is The Mail defending the horrible cuts that have led to the reduction in council tax benefit. You may want to rave about local authorities, but these cuts come directly from the government.

We have a Tory government who (against the advice of even the IMF) continue to make budget cuts. These cuts aren't helping the economy, so we have to presume they are doing because they hate big government, the NHS and benefits, which of course they do. I question why the Liberals would want to help them do this, but there you go.
Saturday 9 February 2013 3.33pm
Russell Cronin wrote:
This sort of thing, I suspect.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 9 February 2013 4.27pm
Zoe: The Government has cut the money it gives to councils to cover the revenue they don't get from those on Council Tax benefits. This doesn't automatically mean that those on means-tested benefits - i.e.: the poorest in our society - should cover the shortfall and not all councils are trying to make them.

The alternative is for councils to cut their costs and I contend that the place to start is with their wage bills. Council employees have become extravagantly overpaid and they are almost never disciplined, never mind sacked, no matter how incompetent or downright malfeasant. Southwark doesn't know how poor its officers' performance is, because its complaints procedure does not work as it should: complaints aren't properly investigated and nothing is done to remedy persistent problems.

For Southwark to get better will require a fundamental change in its corporate culture. Currently, I am sure I am not alone in feeling patronised by just about every council employee I have contact with, never like a 'customer' or someone who is actually paying their wages (until I couldn't afford to pay any more, that is).
Saturday 9 February 2013 4.38pm
James Hatts wrote:
Russell Cronin wrote:
This sort of thing, I suspect.

Ah, thanks. I note Cllr Barrie Hargrove, Southwark's cabinet member for transport, environment and recycling, said: "In the context of unprecedented budget cuts, we have to be on the look out for new ways of generating revenue." It's the same as every Coalition spokesman for the past two and a half year who has blamed their budgetary restrictions on the previous administration.
Saturday 9 February 2013 4.39pm
yup, council officers earn wages when they do their work but also when they do things which directly negate the point of work they'd been paid for (disregard of planning policies is just one, very sore, example).
Monday 18 February 2013 5.08pm
Band B in derby you lose 221 pounds p.a. on JSA...how will people manage? sorry esa...
Monday 18 February 2013 6.25pm
this is so bad. i would rather pay a bit more whilst I am in work to help those out of work, as you never know when it would happen to you and need support. why did they not consult anyone? reading the salaries that the councilors get paid makes me very angry.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions