London SE1 community website

Council Tax cuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 9 of 12
Monday 18 February 2013 6.51pm
julia, they 'consulted' alright. and the people the council asked for their opinions said don't do it as people won't be able to afford to pay so it'll just end up costing the council more to try and get back the few a week.
they heard all and they ignored it, like they ignore pretty much everything local residents have to say on any one matter.
(see also: environment, planning, heygate rip-off etc)
Monday 18 February 2013 7.19pm
Meanwhile the Mayor of Southwark and the Deputy Mayor BOTH have chauffeur driven limos parked most days on Double Yellow Lines in Barnham Street beside Southwark Councils offices.
Monday 18 February 2013 11.28pm
You should not have told me that Paul.....
Tuesday 19 February 2013 7.42am
Julia7239 wrote:
why did they not consult anyone? reading the salaries that the councilors get paid makes me very angry.
The 'consultation' ran last Summer, until September 12, before the final decision was taken, mid-November. I was unable to participate due to being blind (my eyes have now been fixed, thanks to the NHS) and I suspect that others with acute health issues, whose daily life is hard enough, will similarly have been unable to participate. I asked my Social Worker to assist me in making a statement, but that didn't happen. (I also had to reapply for benefits, so that took priority.)
I'm not surprised that the council's proposals went through, unchanged by the 'consultation', which was a cosmetic exercise undertaken through legal necessity.
Tuesday 19 February 2013 8.41am
In case you missed this in Saturday's Guardian:

Top tips: council tax benefit reform

Our expert panel share their advice on council tax benefit schemes and how authorities can play fair for people on low incomes
Wednesday 20 February 2013 12.46pm
Wednesday 20 February 2013 1.29pm
The Poll Tax was stopped because of the extreme cost of collecting it, people moving from household to houshold, moving in moving out impossible to administer.
There was a figure bandied about that for every pound collected only 30p was direct into the coffers...dont know if that is true or not.
Mind you poll tax would benefit me right now..on my own! lol
Wednesday 20 February 2013 4.22pm
Jan the old one wrote:
The Poll Tax was stopped because of the extreme cost of collecting it

Bur, as kellandj pointed out up thread, the legal mechanism of Third Party Payments now means that the Council can take their payments straight from the DWP, so we won't have much of a chance to refuse to pay.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 5.02pm
Paul wrote:
Meanwhile the Mayor of Southwark and the Deputy Mayor BOTH have chauffeur driven limos parked most days on Double Yellow Lines in Barnham Street beside Southwark Councils offices.

Tbf they have been consulting on the role and cost of the Mayor so anyone with views on this has been able to feed them directly into the Council.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 7.09pm
James Hatts, SE1 Editor:

James,

Thanks for your interactive map in the benefits news item.

In the interests of balanced and impartial reporting, sorry but you really should have given people at least some background as to why these reforms are being made by the Government, as opposed to simply outlining the 'cuts'.

It would be interesting also if you could produce a similar interactive SE1 map in order that long-suffering taxpayers such as myself can see what percentage of working age able-bodied Council Tenants are unemployed, what percentage receive council tax benefit and what percentage receive housing benefit.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 9 of 12
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions