London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Subways=RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Saturday 26 January 2013 10.52pm
HAHA I know

While I was living there I rang LBC once and the person that answered the phone asked me where I was from,I told her and she wouldn't let me on air because she thought I was calling from a pub!
Sunday 27 January 2013 11.58am
Bricklayers Arms Library, Old Kent Road

Jan - This link shows a photo of the Library which was destroyed at Bricklayers Arms - I think the shot is looking towards New Kent Road on the left, and Great Dover Street on the right - I could be wrong. The site is now very approximately in the middle of the roundabout.
Sunday 27 January 2013 2.57pm
Jan, yes, I think that if the flyover were to be closed, it would definitely make sense to close your street from NKR...just as has been done opposite from you. I'm pretty sure that subway won't be closed, although I would hope that now that the council has fewer subways to clean, they will spend more time on keeping that one subway tidy -- it is normally quite smelly.

Thanks for sharing the history -- so tragic.
Friday 1 February 2013 1.37pm
Have seen the drawing of the bricklayers roundabout, but was not clear if they would be closing the subway that goes from Searles Rd. to Bartholomew street? Loads of schoolchildren get of at the bus stop and DO use the subway, I can not see any schoolchild walking down to the traffic lights to cross. Many of the boys already leap over the start of the concrete flyover and fencing.

For safety sake I do hope they leave it as it is.
Friday 1 February 2013 1.40pm
I've asked the TfL press office for a clarification re. the westernmost subway, but not response yet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 1 February 2013 1.45pm
Thank you James, they may not be aware there are two schools immediately in the vicinity, both with a few thousand pupils!
Friday 1 February 2013 4.16pm
Strange co-incidence that works were being carried out on subway near searles road and yesterday and today there is a massive lake appeared at bottom of subway steps that extends right into the tunnel bartholomew street side....humm

I spoke to a cleaner nearbye and asked him if he had reported it, he said not as all the subways were being filled in. Now I cant remember if its Southwark or tfl to report it to.
Friday 1 February 2013 4.54pm
Have spent almost 30 minutes reporting this flood, young man was very helpful but thought it was tfl, I know new kent rd.is but the subways I honestly thought were Southwarks, he has at least listened to me very politely and given me a reference number 8007285935 Graham!lol the problem is when we have very heavy rain the rain falls to it's lowest level ( naturally!) down the steps and into the tunnel, as I recall the water had to be pumped UP into drains..? we'll see...

TFL are now aware of the problem, very helpful young Ola said she was going to raise emergency order...It is difficult really to explain about subterranium things i fink! who is responsible for what...lol
Friday 1 February 2013 9.54pm
More historic images of Bricklayers Arms

building the flyover & subways

more images

Inside the Bricklers Arms pub - late 1960s

demolition for the flyover

The flats on the far right still stand - the rest of the Victorian buildings were all demolished.
Before and after comparison photos

And finally, sorry, some gratuitous nostalgia, couldn't resist:

Charlie Chaplin visiting Old Kent Road 1966
Saturday 2 February 2013 10.44am
Floodplain, forgot to thank you for posting that lovely old photo of our library, wish the newer member of se1 could have seen inside, then they would realise how much wondeerful architecture was destroyed in the name of 'progress'..:-) wonder if the people responsible for the whole roundabout GLC I think took any photos of interiors? wonder if they had an archive?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions