London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Subways=RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Wednesday 27 February 2013 4.53pm
Thanks so much for the pictures, Floodplain! So interesting.

I can see the Bricklayers Arms Roundabout from my window and seeing the pictures of how it once was makes me weep. It is a very depressing square now, designed without the slightest sense of taste or decorum.

Although I would love to see the flyover go, I do not think it will make a big difference to the roundabout. What will really make a big difference is if it was given a different purpose. Although I do like the name 'Bricklayers Arms' it is hardly a destination.
Thursday 28 February 2013 11.40am
I live right by the Bricklayers Arms also and walk over the main island daily to & from work and am glad finally there are improvements being made to it. If only there were plans to at least clad the awful flyover itself if there are no plans to eventually knock it down would make some improvement to it. It really is a ghastly sight !
Thursday 28 February 2013 4.13pm
There is no doubt that the flyover is a ghastly site,although obviously not so ghastly that no one would live near it,I just wish those that would see it gone would supply their alternative.
Thursday 28 February 2013 11.20pm
I realise of course that the flyover's not going to go Boroughonian - especially as TfL recently spent a few million re-surfacing and waterproofing it.

But is it really essential? Can we think the un-thinkable?

It only serves traffic heading out of town, so it doesn't prevent gridlock in the AM rush-hour. It also is not even a finished scheme - it was part of a much larger plan for a massive urban motorway ring - like a Westway for South London. So I think it's just meaningless on sitting there on its own.

I find the solid ramps at each end of the flyover actually worse than the elevated section - these ramps act as massive barriers between SE1 and SE17.

Filling in the subways is a good start - I'll take what I can.
Saturday 2 March 2013 8.42pm
Work has begun.

The subways are now fenced-off; handrails and railings have been removed from the concrete steps.

TfL contractors have begun to block-up the subway entrances at the base of the stairs / ramps, and a compound has been set-up in the central island.
Sunday 3 March 2013 3.04am
Perhaps they'll lay empty for a long, long time and be rediscovered in a couple of hundred years' time.
Monday 4 March 2013 12.29pm
I wonder what the "finished product" will look like. Will the perimiter and cross paving be tarmac or decent brick work and will the Island itself have high growing green tree's obsuring partially the flyover itself? I hope they get rid of every last trace of the awful pebble dashed structures ..
Monday 4 March 2013 2.48pm
The flyover would be fantastic planted up as a green living wall type affair. Wonder if Bankside Open Spaces could be tempted to slum it over there and work their magic, or at least use their expertise and connections to work on it.
Monday 4 March 2013 11.16pm
Micky,

TfL Street Management Department stated in their update letter to anyone who responded to the consultation that all the concrete walls are going to be removed - so that's subway walls and the concrete wall around the perimeter of the roundabout.

They also said that there will be a new footway around the north, east and western edges of the central island as of course at present it's just a kerb and a concrete wall. Tree planting and re-paving is also planned but they don't provide any further details - as a minimum expect new paving where the subways are now, of course.

They also say that the TfL Cycle Hire department is being consulted on possible additional docking stations.
Friday 15 March 2013 9.11am
Good to see this morning by 8am the filling in of the subways making good progress with mini steam rollers flattening down the deposited gravel etc and the subways half filled. The diggers were busy knocking down the subway overhead signs by the Tower Bridge Road end at 8am so at this rate it might be completely flattened by next Friday. It sure is good to see it go !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions