London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Subways=RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Friday 15 March 2013 11.20am
MickyDee wrote:
It sure is good to see it go !

Yes could not agree with you more!!!! :o)
Friday 15 March 2013 11.25am
Pops, I wonder if the new pathways on it are going to be tarmac or smart brick work.
Friday 15 March 2013 1.28pm
MickyDee wrote:
Pops, I wonder if the new pathways on it are going to be tarmac or smart brick work.

Hopefully brickwork/paving to keep in line with the current paving. Tarmac would look awful!
Wednesday 20 March 2013 1.51pm
The subways seem to have almost been filled in now. Anyone know what they will do with the 'grassy knoll' in the middle? Would be sad to lose another 'green space' albeit inaccessible to public to date. Spring daffs are very cheery though. Good place for forage for bees and other pollinators!
Wednesday 20 March 2013 11.06pm
TfL say that the central island will have the perimeter concrete wall removed and a footpath established around the perimeter - it will essentially remain a green space of course, but they have not released any details of what will happen to the island layout - presumably the landscaping will have to be adjusted by default when the island subways are filled-in?

It's amazing that the subways are going, but it would be a wasted opportunity to just blandly carpet the areas vacated with paving or grass - there's just so much more they could do with the huge amount of space that will be liberated such as tree planting, cycle hire dockng stations etc.
Thursday 21 March 2013 12.12pm
Floodplain I agree with you 100%. It has so much potential and once it is finished, folks might have some great ideas for it (as is evident by the good ideas & hopes here already suggested ) but just how any can be taken forward with TFL is not yet clear ( if at all folks will be able to! ) . At the moment whilst it is closed (I usually take a short cut over the island to & from work everyday from OKR side diagonally across to the Great Dover Street side), I am crossing on the pathway right under the flyover side of the Island and cannot but notice the huge amount of litter that has accumulated over an obvious long period of time . I hope by levelling the Island out it will be kept a lot cleaner, smarter & litter free without the old fence & walls to accumulate behind . It would also be great if they could reclad the Flyover to smarten it up like Guy’s Tower are doing a the moment because it is going to be the last remnants of that awful concrete architecture they seem to be consigning to the history bin. Also it can only be a more pleasant view for the elderly folks in the home overlooking it.
Monday 17 June 2013 11.38am
I really like the organic wildflowers they are allowing to grow in the new flower beds around the revamped roundabout. They look great.
Monday 17 June 2013 11.51am
I emailed the consultation team to ask that question.

They confirmed that the filled in subways will soon be planted with wild flowers.

No word on what planting will take place on the central island. Whatever grass seeds the birds didn't manage to eat is slowly coming up.
Monday 17 June 2013 11.52am
I agree Guy's Street ! The Guerella (sp?) gardeners blitzed them in April I think and planted sunflowers also so hopefully they will spring up and look impressive. I think it's great also the beds are really quite large so they do make a huge difference on the eye. Hope we get some nice high wild plants growing in them. The main island should hopefully be fully grassed over soon ( although I have no idea how long grass takes to grow ) .
Monday 17 June 2013 1.46pm
MickyDee wrote:
I agree Guy's Street ! The Guerella (sp?) gardeners blitzed them in April I think and planted sunflowers also so hopefully they will spring up and look impressive. I think it's great also the beds are really quite large so they do make a huge difference on the eye. Hope we get some nice high wild plants growing in them. The main island should hopefully be fully grassed over soon ( although I have no idea how long grass takes to grow ) .

I was being sarcastic - they look like they are full of weeds to me! Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to these things.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions