London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Subways=RIP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Monday 17 June 2013 1.54pm
Guy's street wrote:
MickyDee wrote:
I agree Guy's Street ! The Guerella (sp?) gardeners blitzed them in April I think and planted sunflowers also so hopefully they will spring up and look impressive. I think it's great also the beds are really quite large so they do make a huge difference on the eye. Hope we get some nice high wild plants growing in them. The main island should hopefully be fully grassed over soon ( although I have no idea how long grass takes to grow ) .

I was being sarcastic - they look like they are full of weeds to me! Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to these things.

I do see what you mean. I doubt the council would put any money into maintaining them to look like Kew so anything is better than what was there I guess. It would be good if TFL would throw a couple of quid at cladding the flyover as it's the last remnants of that awful concrete and would bring it a bit into line with matching the improvements.
Monday 17 June 2013 2.26pm
MickyDee wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
MickyDee wrote:
I agree Guy's Street ! The Guerella (sp?) gardeners blitzed them in April I think and planted sunflowers also so hopefully they will spring up and look impressive. I think it's great also the beds are really quite large so they do make a huge difference on the eye. Hope we get some nice high wild plants growing in them. The main island should hopefully be fully grassed over soon ( although I have no idea how long grass takes to grow ) .

I was being sarcastic - they look like they are full of weeds to me! Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to these things.

I do see what you mean. I doubt the council would put any money into maintaining them to look like Kew so anything is better than what was there I guess. It would be good if TFL would throw a couple of quid at cladding the flyover as it's the last remnants of that awful concrete and would bring it a bit into line with matching the improvements.

So they aren't weeds then?
Tuesday 18 June 2013 9.23am
Think maybe MickyDee and Guy's street are talking at crossed purposes ... the middle of the roundabout (the main island) has had a lot of gardening attention and looks great, but the beds around the outside of the roundabout have been left to grow weeds, so I hope they get some TLC sometime soon!

However, regardless of the "planting", the changes have been a massive improvement so thank you to whoever took the decision to improve our streetscape.

Re. the flyovers, I'd like to suggest the installation of vertical gardens to cover some of the concrete.
Tuesday 18 June 2013 11.48am
Yeh, I'm talking about the beds around the outside of the roundabout - mainly the one on the corner of TBR and Tabard/Gt Dover St as that's the one I pass dailly.
Tuesday 18 June 2013 11.53am
Hope the weeds get pulled out soon. Some nice colourful flowers or bushes would be great along this area.
Tuesday 18 June 2013 6.11pm
I think that TfL/Southwark have missed an opportunity here to turn the space that was subways into water storage for 1 in 100 year flood events where the sewers don't cope with the amount of water. It is now the councils responsibility to ensure that Sustainable Urban Drainage Solutions (SUDS) are implemented in all new build or redevelopement (or at least considered), under the Flood Water Management Act 2010, and in my opinion this would have been an ideal site to try some ideas out.

As it is it looks like any rain water run off will continue to flow straight into road side gulleys, down drains into the sewerage system and will back up and surcharge if (when) we have torrential downpour.

but the wildflowers (weeds?) look great in my opinion
Sunday 14 July 2013 12.06pm
Very sad to see that the ignoramus who garden for Transport for London decided to turf their 'graves' around the edge of the roundabout in the middle of June! Even in a wet summer that would be horticultural madness. It will die and create more of a problem than had they left it open ground.

It's all the more sad since there were some very healthy sunflower seedlings growing there which I'd planted in April and photographed in early June. They'd have provided a colourful stop gap for summer 2013 until autumn arrived and TfL could have invested in some fruitful long term efforts.

As guerrillas we win some and loose some, but the ones we loose are usually due to fairly unpredictable insanity on behalf of those officially looking after our public realm.
Tuesday 3 June 2014 3.26pm
Generally, the streetscene surrounding the roundabout has improved considerably as a result of the works, compared to how it was with the subways.

But it's a shame that some bright spark decided to plant new semi-mature saplings as late as mid-May. Surely too late in the planting season. All nine of the new trees are already dead, after just a few weeks. What a waste!
Tuesday 3 June 2014 3.42pm
The bright spark responsible for the dead trees is a arboriculturist at TfL with a track record of some funny tree planting techniques in the area - just look at how miserable the planes are they planted at the dangerous southern junction at the E&C when they also removed subways. But credit goes to the same man for the mass of wild flowers - it turns out the turf they laid was intentionally a meadow and it's been fantastic for the last few weeks.

I'll send him an e-mail. The death of the trees will of course help the Mayor's dubiously calculated tree planting targets, as he can score another success planting them all again next year rather than account for the waste.
Tuesday 3 June 2014 6.49pm
We had 2 little trees planted on bartholomew street, one has mysteriously disappeared! can anyone tell me the name of the tree man so i can let him know..a spot of treenapping me thinks! lol
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions