London SE1 community website

Bakerloo Line Extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Friday 22 August 2014 2.05pm
Jules62 wrote:
Lambeth North Tube is closer to E&C Tube than the Bricklayer's arms by about 60 meters.
And Lambeth North was built over a century ago in a world where tube stations were cheap and new and built speculatively (and competitively) in locations that might generate lots of passengers (or pinch them from another line). It was also the end of the line. The Bakerloo was extended to Elephant because it was a busier location that justified a station.

Today, with Waterloo up the road and Elephant the other way Lambeth North generates barely 3M passengers a year, It might even be the least used station in all Zone 1. Frankly, it is odd that it remains open at all. Much busier stations have been closed.

They fought long and hard for Southwark to be built. That has over 13M passengers a year. Do you think a station at Bricklayers could generate the 10-15M passengers that seem to be the going rate for spending a couple of hundred million on a station?
Friday 22 August 2014 3.58pm
I agree Lambeth North isn’t really a great comparison, given how long ago it was built and how few people use it. I’d suggest Southwark is a better one: built recently, very close to another tube station and not in the right place (Waterloo or London Bridge are better for the South Bank attractions). Regardless of that it’s driving a transformation of the area. A tube at Bricklayer’s would do the same.

Judging passenger numbers is difficult, but given the area around Bricklayer’s has reasonable population density (unlike around Southwark tube when it was built) and it’s in a tube desert I’d have thought numbers would be pretty healthy. And areas around tube stations get redeveloped, creating more demand.

Making a cost-benefit analysis stack up shouldn’t be too hard. Seems to be more a question of political will on the part of the Council – Woolwich Crossrail and Southwark tube being cases in point.
Friday 22 August 2014 6.16pm
If you think the Bricklayers is in a 'tube desert' then you have a warped view of geography. I can walk from there to the Elephant or Borough or London Bridge or Bermondsey stations in less than 15 minutes. Most of London would give their eye teeth to live that close to no less than 4 tube stations and 3 lines.
Saturday 23 August 2014 12.10am
Warped is perhaps a bit harsh. I admit it could be because I'm originally from north London that I think a 15 minute walk to a tube station isn't great. Guess we should lower our expectations
Saturday 23 August 2014 10.25am
Well put floodplain. The more I think about it, OKR becomes the obvious option. And a station at Bricklayers would extend the centre of London and spur a huge amount of activity.
Thursday 11 September 2014 12.44pm
It is scheduled for 2040, 26 years away.

That's the equivalent of something being discussed in 1988 only opening now. Even the huge Jubilee Line extension was only about 12 years from concept to opening.

Shouldn't the Cross River Tram be resurrected? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_River_Tram) It was cancelled 6 years ago over lack of funding (hardly surprising given the recession then) but would be far cheaper, be finished far quicker, enable regeneration in Old Kent Road and also take a lot of polluting diesel buses off the roads to help comply with the Air Quality directive.

The pressure for housing and regeneration in OKR will only be relieved if tube or tram are built - until then the density of housing that can be built is limited and so developers will simply wait.
Thursday 11 September 2014 1.21pm
"The Tube Map of the Future" in i yesterday.
Clicky
Tuesday 30 September 2014 11.16pm
2023/4 is the date Lewisham Council expect the Bakerloo to be at Catford Bridge with the Hayes conversion sometime later.

I can't help it. It's the word on the track.

There are some who don't want to read this but think about it before sounding off - 10 years to tunnel from E&C to New Cross is not asking for the moon.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 8.36pm
In depth analysis of the Bakerloo Line extension project can be found in this london Reconnections article published earlier today.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 2.27pm
Was thinking of saying something like this - comments welcome:

I very much support the extension of the Bakerloo line. It is long overdue. There would be significant economic and social benefits from either route – Old Kent Road or Camberwell – however I would suggest that pushing the extension down Old Kent Road would be more attractive. This in terms of the economic uplift it would create, but also due to the fact that the area is worst-served by public transport in all of central London and has many new and proposed developments to serve London’s increasing population which will create yet more pressure on the congested Old Kent Road.

In addition I would strongly suggest that the benefits of a tube station at Bricklayers’ Arms be considered. The effect on the surrounding area of having a tube station would be utterly transformative. At the least I would recommend that a full cost-benefit analysis be carried out. To give a sense of the sort of change a tube station would engender, it is difficult to imagine the development of the area around Southwark without its tube station, despite its proximity to Waterloo. Indeed, it is significantly less likely that TfL would have sited its own surface transport HQ at Palestra House if the nearest tube station was half a mile away rather than across the road.

The south end of Tower Bridge Road has great potential to create new jobs and other social and leisure opportunities in a deprived part of central London. Without a tube station these benefits will go unrealised and it will continue merely to be a down-at-heel, traffic-soaked, urban motorway intersection designed for driving through, not living in.

Finally TfL should look how it can compress its current timelines. 2030 doesn’t sound soon enough and 2040 is surely just kicking the project into the long grass.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions