London SE1 community website

Village or Neighbourhood?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 28 January 2013 2.22pm
James
Names are important.. otherwise why would the bermondsey village group be wanting to define themselves under the name 'bermondsey village' as opposed to bermondsey neighbourhood? ( Anything do you think to do with what it looks like in an estate agents window?) Names have resonance which is why you're called James and I am called Adrian ( and we clearly see things quite differently) and neighbourhood names even more so, literary,historical,social references.
I certainly do agree that there is plenty of potential for a whole range of problems and unforeseen consequences.. and it is that issue of unforeseen consequences I am most concerned about. You say that "it's very much about defining an area that makes sense for a specific purpose". Well fine... but lets be very clear about what the specific purpose is, what it costs and what the implications are for non-designated areas. At the moment, I feel quite strongly that that debate is not being extended beyond the two proposed designated Bermondsey neighbourhoods.
Monday 28 January 2013 2.35pm
I absolutely agree that place names are extremely important - but I don't personally see a problem with either group using 'Bermondsey' in its title. Indeed, I'd consider it preferable to an estate agent 'SoBo'-style name.

I'd say that it's just as important to debate whether the proposed boundaries of any neighbourhood plan area are coherent in terms of the likely pressures and opportunities for development over the next decade, whether the areas are small enough to be manageable for a voluntary group to draw up a worthwhile plan and big enough to make a difference.

The whole neighbourhood planning thing could turn out to be a massive waste of time/effort/money (and I have to say the early signs aren't overly encouraging) which is why that broader debate beyond the Bermondsey name question is so important.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 28 January 2013 3.23pm
So everything around Bermondsey Tube station is not Bermondsey at all?
Why was it called Bermondsey then?
Monday 28 January 2013 3.27pm
Sorry, one more question, what is the area of Bermondsey Wall East and West called if it is not Bermondsey anymore?
Monday 28 January 2013 3.35pm
No-one's said that Bermondsey tube or Bermondsey Wall aren't in Bermondsey, have they?

You can argue where Bermondsey begins and ends a million different ways, depending whether you look at the boundaries of the ancient parishes, the pre-1960s metropolitan boroughs, modern local government wards, parliamentary constituencies and such like.

The site of Bermondsey tube station is in the ancient parish of Bermondsey, but it's not far from the historic Bermondsey/Rotherhithe parish boundary.

Today the concepts of such neighbourhoods are inevitably blurred, and it's an interesting debate, but a distraction from the question of whether the proposed neighbourhood plan areas make sense for that particular purpose or not.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 28 January 2013 3.42pm
I did attend some of the meetings of the Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum in 2010 and 2011. At the start I was unsure what it was about and I am not that much clearer about it now. Actually, I did wonder if it was to be mainly about Bermondsey Street with other areas tacked on to give it more prominence.

It was never about claiming to represent the whole of ‘Bermondsey’; people around Bermondsey Tube can start their own version if they wish. I was always sceptical about the name as I consider myself to live in Borough but my area has been included in the plan. There was discussion about the area covered and the name at the beginning and I was under the impression that 'West Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum' was agreed. There was a West Bermondsey Forum a few years ago so this made some sense but I don't know why this was not followed up.
Monday 28 January 2013 5.08pm
James I hate the term SoBo....Having looked at the boundaries ..I am a 'Hoodie! perhaps I am a Villager in disguise lol..
Monday 28 January 2013 5.32pm
... a slight deviation, but there is a Southwark street sign ON Bermondsey Street at the junction of Abbey Street which says "Welcome to Borough and Bankside". Possibly the daftest "neighbourhood" sign in Bermondsey - surely? ...no sign of a village yet though...
Monday 28 January 2013 5.51pm
Ok.. for one theoretical moment lets forget about names..
What are the implications ( if any) for those seeking to be designated? re:planning decisions, inward investment, council funding.
What are the implications ( if any) for non-designated areas on planning decisions, inward investment, council funding? ( Oh, and by the way , I have heard all the arguments about.. you can seek your own designation for those areas outside the current two applications) .. yes maybe, but this piecemeal non-strategic approach will lead southwark into the cul de sac of unintended consequences.
I think I am correct in saying that the designation of each neighbourhood area may require a referendum at the cost of 25k each for which there is no budget which suggests to me that it would need to be funded by all Southwark council tax payers. Or am I wrong?
Monday 28 January 2013 6.14pm
londonbridge69 wrote:
Ok.. for one theoretical moment lets forget about names..
I think I am correct in saying that the designation of each neighbourhood area may require a referendum at the cost of 25k each for which there is no budget which suggests to me that it would need to be funded by all Southwark council tax payers. Or am I wrong?
A referendum of 8000 residents last year to up a parish council in Queens Park cost £15000 according to the Evening Standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/parish-councils-set-to-return-after-50-years-7630258.html
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions