London SE1 community website

Village or Neighbourhood?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 30 January 2013 9.09am
Following the consultation, Southwark Council has to decide 'which boundaries are most appropriate for neighbourhood planning'. Can it decide neither? Not saying that's necessarily a desirable outcome, but there are clearly concerns over the boundary of 'Bermondsey' for both the small area around Bermondsey Street and the larger Borough - Bermondsey hybrid.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 9.26am
The council can't refuse to designate an area for neighbourhood planning, but it doesn't have to choose either of the proposed sets of boundaries currently on the table.

The decision will be made by Cllr Fiona Colley, cabinet member for regeneration.

So could, taking into account all submissions made during the consultation period, Cllr Colley could designate an area with boundaries matching neither of the current suggestions, or could designate an area which represents a compromise between the two.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 1.21pm
Personally I'd prefer an area (call it what you will) from the river South to Long Lane and from Borough High Street in the West to Tower Bridge Road in the East....an area that is easily definable geographically....a bit bigger than the rather concentrated outlook of BVAG and a bit smaller and more coherant than Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum's area. Just my opinion of course and currently I haven't seen much from either group to persuade me that their plans for the areas they prefer to represent are more interesting than the other's.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 1.23pm
Sorry for the long post; I just want to try and add a little clarity to this topic.

A lot of people are getting hung up on a name.

The Localism bill is meant to appear as an empowerment tool for local communities to be truly involved in how their local area develops.

If you live outside the proposed areas and want to set up your own forum/plan with a group of like minded people you can do so, and call it whatever you want. Residents east of Tower Bridge Road can call their group 'The Nicest People in the World Group' if they want to! (as long as the council agree it...)

To add further confusion, once the council agrees on an area and the resident body that will create a plan for that area, they will need to decide if and how people on the edge of that boundary are included when a project needs to be voted on.
Just because a road both creates a natural boundary and splits and estate in two doesn't have to mean that only half the estate can vote.

I cannot see how an area as large as the one proposed by the Bermondsey Neighborhood Forum can be managed effectively by at best what is now only a hand-full volunteers.

For most of us living in blocks of flats/apartments, compare this with how difficult it is to manage the views of the small number of people living in your building.

The Localism bill is more applicable on a 'village' scale, and is an uphill struggle in an urban area.
The Bermondsey Village Action Group has chosen to focus on a much smaller area that will have the largest impact on the rest of the borough over the next decade.
What is the point in improving the environment around the estates and on the street in Bermondsey if ultimately the council will do deals with developers in the St Thomas Street area and push existing residents out, or infill their estate? Just look at the farce that is the Heygate redevelopment.

What the initial council meetings seem to be for is consultation on the idea of these areas.
I don't believe that any neighbourhood group sets out to exclude neighbours.

Most people in London work hard and have few spare hours in the week. Setting up an effective group is not an easy undertaking, and making the task insurmountable will lead to the group fading away and the council regaining control on what happens in our areas.

Ideally, Southwark/Bermondsey is of such a size that it probably needs ten to twenty neighbourhood groups, and then everyone would be included and there would be two sets of people working on problems and solutions on their area boundaries.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 3.49pm
Maybe I'm missing the point, but what is the point of these groups; it just seems like another layer of bureaucracy[sic]. In what way will it empower local residents?
Wednesday 30 January 2013 6.40pm
The point of these groups is to give residents the ability to have input and a degree of influence of how their area develops.

Currently the council has to listen to residents, but not act on it.
A good example would be the demolition of a significant part of Borough Market for Network Rail - Current planning law allows objectors to planning applications 3 minutes to be heard by the Council (and that 3 minutes has to be shared between all of the objectors).
Had the Localism bill been in place and the relevant neighbourhood forum plan highlighted an aim to preserve the Market, the objectors would have had a far greater influence on the outcome than just being allowed to speak for 3 minutes at a meeting.
Wednesday 30 January 2013 7.34pm
Thameslink probably not the best case study for these purposes as that was a strategic transport project subject to the Transport and Works Act and central Government rather than a matter for the planning regime.

Neighbourhood plans can't conflict with strategic policy in any case.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 25 February 2013 3.20pm
urbanite wrote:
Personally I'd prefer an area (call it what you will) from the river South to Long Lane and from Borough High Street in the West to Tower Bridge Road in the East....an area that is easily definable geographically....a bit bigger than the rather concentrated outlook of BVAG and a bit smaller and more coherant than Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum's area. Just my opinion of course and currently I haven't seen much from either group to persuade me that their plans for the areas they prefer to represent are more interesting than the other's.

I have to say that yours is the most sensible suggestion - it actually relates to the place I feel I live in, Bermondsey Village.

And before anyone gets on their high horses about the misuse of the word village please note that its use requires a healthy dose of irony. It's *obviously* a joke (unless you're an estate agent) but it is also what locals/villagers call it.
Monday 25 February 2013 3.32pm
Where is Bermondsey Village on a map?
Monday 25 February 2013 3.49pm
Bermondsey Village Hall (LOL, yes we do have one) is on Google maps. I'm not aware of any other mentions apart from that.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions