London SE1 community website

Village or Neighbourhood?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 25 February 2013 3.52pm
I've seen some Bermondsey Village People before now.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 February 2013 4.51pm
Ivanhoe wrote:

*Groan* ;-)
Tuesday 26 February 2013 11.54am
spych102 wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

*Groan* ;-)

Well, they were singing when I saw them. Maybe the groaning came later?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 1.13pm
James Hatts wrote:
The council can't refuse to designate an area for neighbourhood planning, but it doesn't have to choose either of the proposed sets of boundaries currently on the table.
The decision will be made by Cllr Fiona Colley, cabinet member for regeneration.

So could, taking into account all submissions made during the consultation period, Cllr Colley could designate an area with boundaries matching neither of the current suggestions, or could designate an area which represents a compromise between the two.

As this is a Coalition initiative, could the Council just go through the motions about all this, or is there some form of obligation for proper continued engagement, once whatever's decided is established?

Can also see that there is some chance of the new bodies becoming used as a political football as it seems that both proposed neighbourhood bodies have a big contingent of local LibDem friends. Just worried that it all gets bogged down in petty rivalries and some folks on both 'sides' setting people up to fail rather than true two-way partnership.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 4.31pm
Well the BVAG proposal seems to include only areas that are entirely within the narrow confines of their campaign to save the victorian arches at London Bridge Station (noble cause) and to prevent skyscrapers being built near the Shard (god knows why they think this is a good idea). It seems bonkers to accept a proposal from a local planning lobby group - especially when it excludes important landmarks such as St Mary's Bermondsey Street from the "Village".

I don't know if the other proposal has a specific political agenda other than somebody sketching stuff on a map with a pen and making a mess. The area south of Long Lane seems a bit of a stretch to include in the Bermondsey "Village". It seems to me the Village should be loosely based on the Bermondsey Street conservation area plus LB Station, Guy's Hospital and the surrounding streets then up to the river and that it should not include Borough High Street because that is in Borough.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 4.52pm
I can't help but think all of this 'Bermondsey Village' talk is merely an attempt to separate the gentrified lot of Bermondsey Street from the rest of Bermondsey. What about down the Blue (aka Southwark Park Road) and the rest of real Bermondsey?

I thought villages only existed out in the country.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 4.53pm
spych102 - one of the reasons for the southern boundary of the larger proposed area being so drawn is to include all of the homes managed by the Leathermarket JMB, rather than have some in and some out.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 5.24pm
Interesting point I was not aware of that.

Would it really be a problem though to have Leathermarket JMB across two (quite distinct) neighbouring areas?
Tuesday 26 February 2013 5.28pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I can't help but think all of this 'Bermondsey Village' talk is merely an attempt to separate the gentrified lot of Bermondsey Street from the rest of Bermondsey. What about down the Blue (aka Southwark Park Road) and the rest of real Bermondsey?

LOL - Bermondsey Village (and btw it's pronounced the French way in case you were wondering) is actually a very mixed area.
Tuesday 26 February 2013 5.29pm
Gavin Smith wrote:

Quite. And again, being cynical, I feel some might find it politically tidy to make such delineations.

I appreciate that most of the local residents who are putting in the graft to get this going are genuinely passionate about establishing a local voice. It's just that, it seems to me, there are some amongst them who also are allied to one party (or another), and I just hope that the good guys don't one day end up being drawn in as pawns in local power games. For instance I am just curious how a Labour council that isn't so keen, maybe, on this idea will eventually collaborate with two neighbourhood councils that are more into the idea of making them work than they (a Labour council) might be; if some great ideas are come up with and the council stonewalls them, just fear some might see the neighbourhood groups as good political capital.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions