London SE1 community website

Tesco Tooley Street New Tills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Thursday 7 February 2013 10.13pm
In order to prevent self-service-till-rage I always begin my transaction by saying "unexpected item in the bagging area" to the machine and then try to do 5 items without said comment being repeated back to me. Never managed it.
Friday 8 February 2013 10.36am
I have very few problems with the self service tills.
Monday 11 February 2013 7.20pm
Posting in a completely personal capacity but as a member of the team in the store I can hopefully answer some of these questions...

Richard P wrote:
Does anyone else have a problem with the new till layout that's just been installed at Tesco Metro Tooley Street?

The new 'slimline' tills were introduced with the best of intentions (we can fit more tills into the self service area, which should help with the queues at busy periods of the day) but I think it's been recognised that they don't represent the best option for all of our customers. We're hoping to regain some of the larger size tills with more space for bagging -- watch this space!

DebraG wrote:
Do they still have real humans scanning as well? If not, I'm off!

The till area has been redesigned so all tills have access to cigarettes and lottery -- a similar layout to some of our 'Express' stores. At the moment there is a temporary checkout counter so it isn't 100% obvious that the tills are still there! But they very much are :) and will always be staffed so that no one is forced to go through the self service tills. When the permanent counter is installed there will be better space for baskets/trolleys and the fact that the tills are still there should be a bit more apparent.

Boss St Bloke wrote:
Oh, and they don't keep beer in the fridge any more - booooo.

I can reassure you that beer will be returning to the fridges soon! It's been temporarily relocated while new fridges/shelving are installed as part of an expanded beer/wines/spirits area. After the refit, white and rosť wine will all be ready-chilled too.

Please do ask if there is anything else you would like to know about the changes that are being made or, as MiltonF says, talk to any of the team in store.
Monday 11 February 2013 8.50pm
Thanks for taking the time to post Nicholas.
Tee
Monday 11 February 2013 10.20pm
The redesign is not done for the benefit of the customer, but as usual, for the Tesco. I personally do not like the new tiny bagging tills. It now takes me longer to scan weigh and then pack my bag on the floor. I do a large shop (not a sandwich zombie) and so i bring a large bag. These new tills are now somewhat of an inconveniece and i will probably go elsewhere.
Monday 11 February 2013 11.47pm
Thanks Nicholas - but as I said in an email to your manager the other day (to which neither he, nor Tesco customer services have responded) the rationale behind the new tills is blindingly obvious; more tills = quicker turnover = more profits. The fault in that logic is that regardless of any extended range your store now puts in - which I might otherwise have been interested in - these new slimline tills simply don't provide a good customer experience for shoppers like me buying lots of items. Far from being a Tesco "flagship" store it actually makes your store as useful to me any other "convenience store" in the area where I might be able to pick up the odd pint of milk or loaf of bread as I pass by. It surely follows that the less items people like me buy in one transaction, the less profit Tesco makes which puts pressure on the store to increase turnover even more to pick up the slack...
I'm afraid I've not been back to your store since I first complained about these new tills and have varied my routine to go to other stores in the area for my daily shop, but I just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to post.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 7.43am
Richard P wrote:
The rationale behind the new tills is blindingly obvious; more tills = quicker turnover = more profits.

We have been running customer 'viewpoint' research regularly in-store over the last several months through an external customer research company (you may have participated in this yourself, or seen other customers being interviewed in the foyer as they leave the store). One of the questions asked is what the most important thing we could do to improve the customer experience in store is, and the reports that we get have consistently shown queueing times as the no. 1 issue that's important to our customers at Tooley St. While we're always pleased for turnover to go up :) I genuinely believe increasing the number of tills was principally about trying to respond to this feedback. (Giving all the manned tills access to tobacco and lottery has a similar rationale -- it means you aren't forced to queue at the Customer Service Desk if you want a pack of cigarettes or a lottery ticket, but can go to any till.)

Richard P wrote:
The fault in that logic is that regardless of any extended range your store now puts in - which I might otherwise have been interested in - these new slimline tills simply don't provide a good customer experience for shoppers like me buying lots of items.

I completely understand this; all I can say is that I know this issue is being taken very seriously and I will be very surprised if some changes don't end up being made -- I'll let you know when we know for sure.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 9.56am
Richard P wrote:
Thanks Nicholas - but as I said in an email to your manager the other day (to which neither he, nor Tesco customer services have responded) the rationale behind the new tills is blindingly obvious; more tills = quicker turnover = more profits. The fault in that logic is that regardless of any extended range your store now puts in - which I might otherwise have been interested in - these new slimline tills simply don't provide a good customer experience for shoppers like me buying lots of items. Far from being a Tesco "flagship" store it actually makes your store as useful to me any other "convenience store" in the area where I might be able to pick up the odd pint of milk or loaf of bread as I pass by. It surely follows that the less items people like me buy in one transaction, the less profit Tesco makes which puts pressure on the store to increase turnover even more to pick up the slack...
I'm afraid I've not been back to your store since I first complained about these new tills and have varied my routine to go to other stores in the area for my daily shop, but I just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to post.

It is a delicate Balance between store efficiency and customer satisfaction but what is wrong with Tesco aiming for more revenue and profit?
I have been in the store and used the new tills and yes, it requires a change of 'routine' but very quickly we will all get used that. The truth is that we don't like change.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 10.56am
'the suits are watching this store very, very closely!'

i told you so ...
Tuesday 12 February 2013 12.06pm
maurits wrote:
The truth is that we don't like change.

I'm not sure I agree Maurits - I used to only go to Tesco but I'm now rather enjoying my trips to Waitrose, Sainsburys and M&S.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions