London SE1 community website

Tesco Tooley Street New Tills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.09pm
These self service tills never seem to give the minimum number of coins in the change but disgorge a torrent of small denomination coins. Same applies to M&S and the self service terminals in the Post Office.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.19pm
I want to know why there's always a slight pause before you get the pennies.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.21pm
The tills tend to dispense a large amount of change as many people use them to get rid of change.

They have a complicated algorithm that has the intention of them being left with as little change as possible at the end of the day's trading, without ever running out of enough change for a customer.
Tee
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.21pm
maurits wrote:
The truth is that we don't like change.

Yes, but it's the fact that they dress it up as if to say the change is good for the customer, when it is really for the benefit of Tesco. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just don't lie to us.
On another note, instead of fiddling with till sizes, why not concentrate on what's in your beef products.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.38pm
I don't think Tesco are lying by saying the intention behind putting more tills in is to reduce waiting times.

Obviously reduced waiting times means also an ability to serve more customers, but Tesco is a business!
Zoe
Tuesday 12 February 2013 1.49pm
I think the biggest problem is that the tills go wrong so much and there aren't enough staff to put them right. If the tills worked well I would be less annoyed by the changes. However, they are still better than the tills at Sainsburys on The Cut (that unexpected item in the bagging area is my bag, which isn't that unexpected really).

Thanks for the explanation Nicholas, appreciate you taking the time.
Wednesday 13 February 2013 9.41am
Nicholas Boalch wrote:
Posting in a completely personal capacity but as a member of the team in the store I can hopefully answer some of these questions...

Hi Nicholas. Is there any explanation for the massive rise in prices?
Wednesday 13 February 2013 10.11am
I categorically refuse to use self-service tills. Tesco seems intent on making the manned tills invisible and impractical so in the end they get rid of all their cashiers. It's not about making the queue go faster, it's about reducing the number of staff. It's unfair and they do the job better and quicker than any of us. I have found that all cashiers at that Tesco very friendly and it's a pity they are gradually being replaced by unfriendly stubborn machines.
Wednesday 13 February 2013 10.40am
connie wrote:
I categorically refuse to use self-service tills. Tesco seems intent on making the manned tills invisible and impractical so in the end they get rid of all their cashiers. It's not about making the queue go faster, it's about reducing the number of staff. It's unfair and they do the job better and quicker than any of us. I have found that all cashiers at that Tesco very friendly and it's a pity they are gradually being replaced by unfriendly stubborn machines.
I am in total agreement. This business's response to long queues isn't to have more people on hand to serve them, but squeeze in more tills for their customers to do the work at. This is a business that does not put the customer at the forefront, just reducing costs regardless of the customer experience. The British consumer buys into this by accepting self-service. I know of no other country where this is the "norm". The horsemeat issue is indicative of a business where cost is more important.
Wednesday 13 February 2013 4.29pm
Totally agree with connie and alang - this 'improvement' being forced on customers is an utter con.

It is just a way for tesco etc al to reduce their costs and boost sales per square foot. That means they can outbid independent shops and create an oligopoly. They will not stop until customers have zero real choice.

Just like the banks.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions