London SE1 community website

Tesco Tooley Street New Tills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Saturday 23 February 2013 1.00am
Thank you, Nicholas, for your diligence and courtesy.

I went in today, after a break of a few days, and saw the new tills for the first time. It was 5pm when I finished my shopping and there was quite a queue forming - but only 2 tills were open.

Clearly there were a lot of people finishing work early, for the weekend, and doing some shopping on the way home.

I made a point of walking down every aisle and whilst there are 'bargains' [the current cleaning product sale], prices really have shot up. It makes a difference to those on a fixed income - even the reduced price stock seems to be more expensive.

Unlike my last couple of visits, there were no staff to be seen on the floor and I had to go on a search for someone. What happened to the Yellow folk? :p
Saturday 23 February 2013 5.39pm
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for your comments - they are being listened too! And please note I'm writing in a personal capacity, this is not an official Tesco response!

At Tooley st we serve very different types of customer. We have tried something new and different to see if we can better serve all our customers, new self serve tills and manned tills and tobacco kiosk combined are an example.

To respond to previous customer comments (bigger salad bar, increased grocery range as examples) we have reduced the space devoted to checkouts whilst keeping the number of tills the same, and keeping manned tills that can serve larger shops, to do this has required the new, unique checkout layout.

As with any change as big as this there are things we have to learn and listen to, and we are doing that, but I would ask for patience for the works to be complete as to truly decide on what changes to make to checkouts we have to measure against the improvements to the rest of the store and decide then what the best course of action is.

Finally, I'm disappointed to hear the experiences of a couple with regard to queues and service,, we should never have this situation and I'll be addressing when I return from holiday next week.

Once again, I appreciate all comments and would happily discuss with you when you are next in the store.

Kind Regards,

Mark
Monday 25 February 2013 1.50pm
I've massively reduced the amount of shopping I do there entirely because of prices. When some things are nearly a pound more than in other supermarkets, including Tesco, it really adds up.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 10.20am
I have also noticed the significant price increases since this store opened. For example, toilet paper and cleaning products, normally cheaper in a supermarket than a local convenience store, appear to be expensive as the corner shop two minutes from my flat. I may as well get them from there and save myself the walk. There really is then no point in shopping at Tesco for those items, and if I want food for dinner I will simply go to M&S where I am familiar with the prices and range, and am actually served at a till by a human being. The new Tesco tills are undeniably more fiddly, more difficult to use, impractical if buying even a full basket worth of items, and a bad idea. These and the prices will put people off.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 10.31am
I hate the new tills and have started using The Circle Store once again - prices are very similar.

The one positive are the excellent staff in Tooley Tesco, especially the till fellas - helpful and chatty.

They hate the new tills too along with the extra moaning they bring. The suits should be worried that their excellent staff might vote with their feet too.
Wednesday 27 February 2013 11.34am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
The one positive are the excellent staff in Tooley Tesco, especially the till fellas - helpful and chatty.

Agreed. Probably the only thing left keeping me going at all. I'm sure though that if the lunch crowd profits make up for us locals not going the decision makers won't give a toss.
Monday 4 March 2013 9.02pm
So I popped in on Friday, and Saturday and tonight...

This Tesco store could seriously confuse a stupid person as every aisle, every shelf magically moves and changes between visits!

Me: "Where's the eggs mate?"

Helpful Tesco Chap: (points to the old spag-boll-in-a-tin horse section)

I get there, no eggs.

See same chap - "Mate, no eggs - just shampoo! - Why you keep moving stuff around?"

Helpful Tesco Chap: (with a straight face) "So that customer do the full tour of the store"

Me: "Well it's p1ssing off the locals mate"

It's fun when you have time on your hands - a leisurely stroll up and down every single blimmin aisle on a journey of discovery. But, when you need to shop-and-dash at the end of the day, well I am a confused stupid person.
Wednesday 6 March 2013 12.22pm
Having read Boss Street Bloke's post above, I decided to pop in to Tesco last night about 9.00pm. Well, what a mess, and how disappointing - the suits should be ashamed of themselves.

Unattended trolleys full of stock in several aisles, hardly any staff on the floor, fridges empty (I assume they are moving around as well?), there is no logic to where they are moving things so it's hard to find anything, and as has been the ever growing theme here, the prices are getting ridiculous.... I suppose it's true - Tesco really put the "con" into "convenience store".

1 or 2 people using the ridiculous mini tills and a steady flow of people with more than a few items being served by 3 people behind the kiosk (managers please note....there are NO sandwich buyers at that time of night).

For me, the biggest disappointment is that up until a couple of months ago I actually thought this was a great store. It's not about resisting change, or being annoyed about them wanting to enhance profits, it's just about wanting to have a good customer experience. I'd like to argue that their motives are cynical, but frankly, whatever they are trying to do, they are they are cocking it up so badly, it borders on inept.
Wednesday 6 March 2013 12.40pm
To be fair the store is clearly in a transitional period at the moment with temporary fridges and shelves - the revamp isn't due to be finished till next week.

No doubt people would have complained if they'd shut the store completely to refit and rearrange it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 6 March 2013 8.36pm
What I find particularly strange, is the choice to sell tablets in this store - thus taking up a LOT of room where the old trolley-efficient tills were.

Who on earth is going to go into this store to buy a tablet?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions